Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
New to photography

Hi,

I am Anand, a creative software guy. I am into paintings, all kinds of Art forms and creative coding.

I have been taking lots of photographs in my point and shoot camera till last year. Then I decided to hop on to the world of photography and wanted to buy a camera. The DSLR was out of my budget and I got hold of an advanced point & shoot Nikon P330 since it was in a deal in the market. The camera is really nice and I have learnt a lot about photography as it gives me all the freedom. But it has its own limitations which only a DSLR can fulfill.

Since this would be my first DSLR, I am looking at buying a Pentax K-30/K-50 or a Nikon D5100. D5200 is expensive at my place and Nikon has warranty issues with online sellers. Pentax K30 has been phased out here, K50 is available but almost 40% expensive compared to the prices in the US. I handle things roughly and want to buy a sturdy DSLR to suit my needs.

I have couple of questions:
1. Is it a good idea to buy a High end camera body like K-3 for beginners? Or may be, couple a K50 with 18-135 lens?
2. If I buy Nikon D5100, I might require an upgrade in 2 years time. At that time, D5100 will not have proper re-sale value. Also, low end Nikon cameras have plastic feel to them. Should I still prefer Nikon D5100 as it is cheaper?

I would like to be married to the camera for long.

Last edited by Tom S.; 06-30-2014 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Personal link removed.
06-30-2014, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A K50 with 18-135 is a great combo, the Weather Resistance gives you a lot of confidence. You can then look for some old manual prime lenses to satisfy your artistic ambitions.

You mention resale - you can also look for used K30 or K5 series cameras. This is a good option to save some money. The Pentax offerings are more solidly built than the lower to mid level Nikons. The Marketplace here on the PF website is a great place to look for used equipment.

You seem read to make the jump to a more technical camera, the K3 or K5 will give you all the flexibility you need, and the controls to do everything yourself or allow the camera to make some decisions. The K30/50 will give you much of this, too, but personally I like my K5, it's been a great performer.
06-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

To me, a K1000/MX/LX would be your best bet since you like to beat things up. If you get a DSLR, re-sale value won't be an issue since no one will want a beat up sample.
06-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am inclined towards Pentax only coz of its build quality. Recently I used the Canon 7D which was quite sturdy but heavy. I will be going to the Pentax dealer soon to check out the K50 in hand and try to have a feel for it.
The only con is that Pentax doesn't have a very good after sales support in India. People have been complaining a lot about the service.
I would also want to know whether kit lens (18-55mm) which comes with the Pentax cameras is seriously a problem as lot of people mention on the forums?

06-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax's 18-55WR is well-regarded as a kit lens from what I've read. Your other option for an upgraded kit would be the 18-135WR which is very nice, and quiet.
06-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot. I think I will visit the store and check both the lenses. That might be the best way to choose. Thanks again for your inputs.
07-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boraclicks Quote
I would like to be married to the camera for long
Welcome to the forum, that's why I still have a couple of LX's about the place.

07-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. .
Cameras are a way of merging creativity with memories. We keep them for long as they become part of those memories.
07-01-2014, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
as they become part of those memories
Indeed, I can look at various camera bodies and both place where I was and at what stage in my life I was at.
07-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #10

Hello and welcome to the world of Pentax.
I hope you will learn a lot and have even more fun in this group.
07-03-2014, 03:17 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Olav. Learning is always so much fun.
07-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #12

The only con is that Pentax doesn't have a very good after sales support in India. People have been complaining a lot about the service.
Welcome to the forums!

You said, that Pentax has problems with after sale support in India? Here was one guy, who said that he is part of Ricoh India group. It seems to me that you had the idea to contact him.

Here you can find him:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/265444-hello-ri...ml#post2847175
07-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a ton. I will PM him.