Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2014, 04:59 AM   #1

New K-1000 user, bringing on back-packing trip, need tips

Thanks for taking the time to read!
Hello all, I am new to any kind of manual photography and recently purchased a K-1000 to bring on a trip to climb Mt Kilimanjaro.
We will not have power for 7 days, and it gets quite cold. I spent weeks unsuccessfully looking for a new digital that fit the requirements, then thought of going "old school". We also have an older Olympus digital zoom that takes AA batteries and my husband will be bringing it as well.

Anyone who might know about outdoor photography, landscape photography and best bets for lenses in my kit, etc, I would LOVE any tips/tricks.

So far I actually have 2 K-1000 bodies (one all-metal, one plastic parts), both work perfectly. All-metal weighs about 20g more, and weight is at a premium since I am carrying it.

I have a few lenses: (I don't know ANY lingo, so bear with me)
Tokina EL 28mm 1:2.8 (just found-haven't taken pics with this yet)
SMC Pentax M 1:1.7 50mm (favorite so far)
SMC Pentax M 1:2 50mm
CPC 35-70mm zoom MC Macro 1:3.5-4.5
Sears MC 1:2.8 135mm fixed

My plan right now is to take just the Pentax 1:1.7 50mm and the 28mm wide-angle. I don't have a hood of any kind, but think this might be important to get.

Flash:
I have 2 flash units a Vivitar AF 160 and a Quantaray Q15. I took a few pics with the Quantary and everything was washed out. I did set the film seed to the 60X flash sync setting. Should I be adjusting other settings "down" to make less washed out? Should I stand back a bit? I was thinking of getting a diffuser or something. I am completely clueless on this.

06-30-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look for the screw-in rubber hoods, they're inexpensive and work well. Search by thread diameter. The will also allow the pinch caps to work.
The 50 f1.7 would be my first lens to pack.

If you want rugged compact digitals, there are plenty of options. The Pentax WG series is good, and Olympus makes the Stylus Tough. The drawback are the little lithium batteries, you'll need to pack charged spares. The cameras can take some punishment and weatherproofing is great.
06-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! I was thinking the 50mm f1.7 too.
We are going to just bring the oldish, non-weather proof Olympus we have since AAs will be easiest to deal with.. and it's not a tragedy if it gets ruined. Hoping for mostly dry, if cold, weather. The hoods sound perfect, I'll order some for any lenses I have.
07-01-2014, 02:34 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you know what your taking and yes I would agree hoods are almost essential.

Do enjoy your trip and remember to post up some images when you get back.

07-01-2014, 04:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks so much!