Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #1

Hello from the Garden State.

Hi, I have been on the forum reading quite a bit for the past month. I finally decided to create an account and join in on some conversation.

Brief history; got my first SLR when I was about 15 yrs old. A Konica Autoreflex TC. That was in the '80s and I still have it along with my 3 lenses that was gifted to me from my parents. Took some photography classes in college, and always loved it as a hobby.

Fast forward a few years and I find myself getting married. The Yashica T3 was my camera for much of the late 90's until I finally upgraded my SLR to a Canon.

I figured the EOS Elan IIe was my best bet at that time (around 2000).

In 2006 (or '07) I bought my first digital SLR. A Canon 30D. In that time I have mainly only shot with the few lenses I had from the Elan days, a 35mm a 50mm a 100mm and a 28-105mm. I sold the 28-105 and bought and sold a few others, but never sold the primes. I just love prime lenses.

Anyway, I have been longing for a change and I'm just not sure I want to continue down the Canon path any longer. I don't have too much invested. One (old) speedlight (EX 420) the 3 primes and 2 EF-S lenses. I use cheap manual vivitar flashes for most of my off camera flash photography.

I have really been liking what I have been reading about the K5II and K3 with it's new sensor, the weather sealing the dampened shutter and a lot more.

So that brought me to the forums. I'm still not sure I'm making the leap just yet, but I knew I needed some type of upgrade and I figured I'd start small. Like P&S small.

Of course the Ricoh GR was at the top of my list, but then I realized, I'm not really a street shooter (a bit here and there) so why spend all that $ just to then spend more $ on a new DSLR, besides, I don't want a divorce just yet.

I've been wanting a new point and shoot for some time and figured maybe that would get me looking over more at the Pentax side of the fence.

So, I just bought a Pentax MX-1. Like 40 minutes ago, so I probably won't get it until Wednesday. I doubt I'll be basing a decision on if I am going to switch (or laterally move) to Pentax DSLR solely on the MX-1, but at least I can see how I like the menu flows build quality and all that fun stuff.

Hardly a GR, but from what I'm reading the MX-1 is no slouch either. With kid/pet/family/vacation/street photos as my primary use for it. And I think a good light weight option when I don't want to haul around the DSLR in 90 degree summer heat. Plus it didn't break the bank.

Also, I have never been happy with my wife's obsession with the tiny Canon Elph cameras (she's had several one film and 2 digital) she always brings along.

Anyway, sorry for the autobiography, but I'm sure I'll be checking in quite a bit from here on out.

07-01-2014, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, great intro, be sure to come back and tell us all how your getting on with MX-1, once you get your hands on her.
07-01-2014, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from the Garden City (Toowoomba, Queensland). Couldn't resist that, since you are the Garden State and Toowoomba is my nearest city and second home. Enjoy that MX-1. It is supposed to be a good piece of gear. It has one advantage over a DSLR as well - immunity to LBA. That is, until you start thinking "Maybe I need something more ..."
07-01-2014, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

07-02-2014, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some images of Joyzee.
07-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks. FedEx says it's out for delivery!