Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

Hello all

New Pentax user here. I started in photography back in 1979 with a Minolta SRT200, moved to Nikon in the late 90s and then gave up serious photography in the early 2000s and just used cheap digital point-and-shoots. Two-years-ago my wife bought me a Sony A77 DSLR for my birthday, and while I didn't stick with Sony for long, I did get back into photography in a big way.

Currently my primary camera is a Leica M Monochrom and a quartet of Leica primes, specifically a 24/3.8, 35/2.5, 50/2 and 90/2.5. I also enjoy vintage glass on the M Monochrom and use the following screw mount lenses, a1937 Carl Zeiss 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar, 1941 Carl Zeiss 5cm f/2 Sonnar T and 1963 Zomz 5cm f/1.5 Jupiter 3, which is a Russian knock off of the 1937 Sonnar. I also have a Sony RX100 m2 point-and-shoot for vacation photos and the like.

Shooting the M Monochrom is a revelation, and while I'll not go back to film as a primary medium, it did prompt me to buy a bunch of Tri-X and seek a film body to shoot it in. After a lot of research I settled on the Pentax MX and a trio of the compact M series lenses. The main priorities in my film outfit were that it be inexpensive, reliable and compact, which meant either an M series Pentax or an Olympus. Not sure I made the right choice as the outstanding OM-4 was about the same price and Olympus lenses place the aperture ring at the forward edge like Leica, but anyway I bit the bullet and ordered from KEH this morning.

For under $400 I got an MX body in EX condition (chrome), the 28mm f/2.8 SMC-M, 50mm f/2 SMC-M and 135mm f/3.5 SMC-M. None of these are what reviews call legendary lenses, but they were all cheap ($29 for the 50), small and light, and while I don't expect them to match my Leica primes, they should be vastly superior to the average zoom lens.

07-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. I remember the Minolta fondly!
07-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Mark.
07-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, interesting intro, enjoy the MX and don't be to harsh on her after using the Leicas for so long, you could well be surprised.

07-06-2014, 02:41 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asiafish Quote
Thanks Mark.
You are most welcome. Enjoy those Leicas!
07-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, interesting intro, enjoy the MX and don't be to harsh on her after using the Leicas for so long, you could well be surprised.
Harsh? Actually I'm rather looking forward to it. I played with a friend's Spotmatic back when I had the Minolta gear and loved the feel (but not the stop-down metering), so when I chose the MX it was with a fond memory. I wanted a very small and light mechanical body with small and light lenses to match, and only the Olympus OM1 and OM3 came close. OM3 bodies are outrageously expensive, if you can find one, and OM1s use the old mercury cells and need either the shot-lived Wein cell substitutes or to be recalibrated.

So in the end I went with the MX. It doesn't have the aperture ring at the front like Leica, but has the shutter dial in the right place. More importantly, it uses modern batteries. Since I'm planning to shoot mostly Tri-X in it, I doubt I'll notice that the lenses I bought aren't "legendary".