Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Greetings - First Time Pentax User - Jumped Shipped from Canon

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself to this forum. Have been Canon Customer for 10+ years and have a deep passion for photography. Got sick of Mal-Functioning Canon EF Auto Focus Motors on many of my lenses and decide to sell all my Canon Gear and recently bought a Pentax K-50 mainly due to this forum review and many of its top of its class features and in-body IS feature. Super excited about Pentax.

Immediately took it for spin and in general very impressed with the Kit Lens. The only issue I see coming from my Canon Rebel series is that Auto-focus in low light is somewhat slow and the camera sometime hunts for focus . The other feature I miss is the auto-popup for the flash (when in the rare and quick cases - I want to use the Auto mode) . Still exploring all the things but initial impressions are great mostly.

Hope to be a regular member of this great Forum.

Wanted to share some sample pictures I took on my brand new K-50 18-55 Kit Lens:

Last edited by photolady95; 07-06-2014 at 11:41 PM.
07-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

welcome to the forum and hope you find the forum helpful! I know I've learned tons from the people here. I would think you will find it nice to have two control wheels!
07-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Greetings !

I hope you'll be happy with your new k50

May i suggest you to have a look at the lens database, in case you need more than the kit lens ? Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

If you have any question, don't hesistate : ask ! Many members will be appy to answer you

Have a nice day.
07-07-2014, 02:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum!

There was something of a slightly unintended branch in the logical progression of capability improvements. There was a stopgap updating of the K5 with the low light focusing improvement which went into the K5II and K5IIs, enabling auto focusing down to -3ev. The K30/K50 (which were not tied directly in to the K5 hardware design) received the improved image processing engine which provided the focus peaking. All the improvements were then able to be combined into the K3.

Hope that explains a bit why the AF improvement was somewhat isolated to the upper tier product line.

07-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome! Glad to have you here!
The AF is something you kind of have to learn how to use. Some tips:
- Don't use the auto AF point select. It is usually better to choose centre point or select point and manually choose which one you want
- The AF points are actually much bigger than the viewfinder indicators (the tiny red lights), so sometimes it will lock focus, but not on what the user thinks it did. But you can learn about this behaviour and get better, more consistent result
- the tiny red lights are merely indicators which AF point is active. Look for the green hexagon in the OVF, which is the focus confirm
- The lens has an effect on the AF. The Pentax kit lens is better than the kit lenses of some other brands, but it is still not a champion. If you buy a lens like DA 35mm or DA 50mm the AF speed should increase a lot. On the other hand, a lens with a long focus throw will have a lower AF speed (for example, macro lenses can be slow)
- You can use live view and focus peaking for that critical focus. It works best with lenses between 24mm and 135mm that are f3.5 or faster
- AF in live view uses contrast-detect, rather than the usual phase-detect, so you can try this method if you think the regular AF is failing. Phase detect might need the micro focus adjust, but CD AF never needs an adjustment - it only needs contrast
- speaking of AF micro adjust, there are many threads and blogs about how to check your focus and making sure it is calibrated correctly for your specific lenses. There is a certain tolerance that cameras and lenses have, and when they are on opposite ends, an adjustment might be necessary. You know you need to do this when your camera consistently focuses just a little wrong
- make sure you camera has the latest firmware, it can help with overall performance, lens recognition, and AF choices
- using a lens hood prevents flare and improves overall contrast. it might help with focusing in some situations
- Pentax allows you to use catch in focus with manual lenses, for a pseudo-AF function. Can only be used with lenses that have conductive mount and allow an MF mode via a switch on the lens (or simply are MF only)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-07-2014 at 04:13 AM.
07-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, long may you continue to enjoy the Pentax experience.