Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #1

Hello from SoCal

Hello everyone! Some of you may ask “Why Progman?” If you are a music lover as well as a Pentax fan, you may have seen my user name on other sites. Prog is short for “Progressive” rock. I am a major music fan who has been shooting concerts in the LA area for about thirty-five years. My first real camera was Pentax K-1000 from around 78’ or 79’ then a bought a Super Program. Third was a K-10D and now I’m planning on buying a K-3 this week. Still have everything. Love that K-1000 to this day. It went through some major floor shows in LA and always delivered! Also shot thousands of photos of the family and my son. It’s been trips to the desert, river (Colorado) and Mexico to name just a few adventures. Last time I loaded film and shot, it worked just fine. Never really took a liking to the Super Program, good camera just always seemed to grab the K-1000. The K-10D has been a great camera. It’s been a little hard to get great shots in low light (no flash) but over all a real good camera. I’m looking forward to the K-3 with the DA 18-135 WR Lens. Hope to take delivering on Friday. Well that’s all for now. Glad to have found this forum. It's been great reading.

07-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, remember to post some of your images, as us other Pentax old timers from the 70s & 80s would find them most interesting.
07-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome and thanks for the intro! You have some real classics there in the K-1000 and the K10D. Many here will still prefer the K10D over newer bodies in certain situations. But of course, the K-3 is a very different camera, more speedy in every way - and "better" in most things (all depending on your definition of better, of course).

Good to have you with us!
07-08-2014, 02:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

35 yrs? This puts you right in the midst of Yes, ELP, Genesis, Kansas, Focus and the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Those were the days. I had all the albums growing up. But now I also think that in the history of the world dinosaurs died out twice.

07-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

Come out to Chino on Saturday for World Pentax weekend - I'll probably be the only other person with Pentax :-)

https://yanksair.com/ynarticles/detail/Run-to-the-Warbird-Carshow/75/

There is also this group:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/54-california-pentax-users/
07-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey there, Progman. Welcome to the forums! I'm pretty sure you're gonna love the K-3. I haven't used mine extensively like my other bodies, but from the relatively short time that I've used it, it's been a pleasure to use. The results you'll get from the high ISO files are gonna make it hard to go back to your K-10D. I've only shot one live music gig with it so far. You can check out the set here if you wanna get a taste of what your K-3 can produce. I've shot at the House of Blues Sunset Strip and Hard Rock Cafe with the K-5 and K-30 and got some really good results. You should get just as good results from the K-3.
07-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hey everyone thanks for all the cool comments. Well the K-3 is due tomorrow. I'm off for three days so very excited! Just in time for World Pentax day/weekend. Let me take a minute to reply on a couple things.

Kerrowdown: As soon as I have time to learn the site I'd be happy to start posting pictures.

savoche: Thanks. That's why I keep everything. I love all my Pentax equipment. Later I'll post the glass I own.

officiousbystander: Concert wise I go back a bit further. First real concert was Genesis with Peter Gabriel for the Selling England tour. My list of concerts would fill the page. Lots of main stream rock and lots of strange bands. I hope to post pictures in the future.

SpecialK: That's a maybe on Chino. Not that far from me (North OC) Sounds like you may know a good friend of mine named Anthony. He shoots air shows as Warbirdfotos?

mamba909: Love the photos! Can't wait to shoot concerts with the higher ISO on the K-3. Hope there half as goods as yours.

Anyway everyone I will let you know when the K-3 arrives. Have a Pentastic weekend!
07-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Progman Quote

SpecialK: That's a maybe on Chino. Not that far from me (North OC) Sounds like you may know a good friend of mine named Anthony. He shoots air shows as Warbirdfotos?
Nope, I don't know him. He may be in the backgound of one of my airshow photos, though :-)

I'm going to Yanks with a non-photo friend.

07-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
Received my K-3 today! Haven't had time to do any real shooting but I inserted the Pentax Flucard that came with it and was able to control the camera with my iPhone. Sort of cool. Has a great feel. More as time goes by.