Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
the k-5 came today. here are a few initial observations in no particular order:

It's small. Too small in fact. My pink halfway fits on. The back button AF is right in the stinkin' way since I'm a left eye shooter. I flick myself in the nose anytime i turn the rear dial to the left.

can I use the AE-L button for autofocus like I can on my cannon? that would help a lot in keeping my thumb from knocking my eye away from the view finder.

the customization of buttons is very limited for a professional level camera. especially since they have buttons that detected to things that are completely useless to me- like exposure compensation since I shoot in full manual. I find this inexcusable in a body of this caliber.

in body image stabilization does help compared to my 100-300 canon with none.

the 55-300 is not quite as sharp as my 100-300L. is it enough to make a difference? I'll tell ya later.

holy chromatic aberrations- it looks like a water color painting next to my 100-300L. thats going to need some post work.

high ISO noise is a good bit better. there is no chroma noise like in the canon cameras, and no visible banding until 25k. Though it does look like some of this is done at the expense of detail

The viewfinder is dark. It is noticeably darker than my EF-S canon screen for manual focus. Perhaps pentax cameras come from the factor ready to manual focus? It doesn't bother me, but it may some others.

its a good bit lighter than my canon set up.

the MF ring on the lens spins in autofocus. this is a problem since pentax made everything so small, because my fingers naturally lay across the manual focus ring. this is really unexpected to me since the lens has quick shift. Im not sure how usable that lets quick shift be.

07-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
after testing both, here are some observations in no particular order:

-The 100-300L is a little sharper than the 55-300DA
-in body shake reduction works
-high iso noise isn't a contest. appreciable difference from 640+,especially in chroma noise- Pentaz wins
-shadow recover isn't a contest- Pentax wins
-screw drive AF is slightly less noisy, and faster than the arc form
-pentax is much smaller and lighter, yet comfortable and made of magnesium alloy
-i like the brackets in the pentax view finder better than canons focus points
-the AF/MF control switch also controls continuous or single auto focus- I like this
-the metering mode is selected with a manual switch- a noter plus for me
-the pentax shutter is much quieter with less mirror slap
- the canon is a little roomier and has a joystick
-pentax has in camera HDR and electronic level
-canon has more personalized control options

Canon is losing at this point in practical shooting
07-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been able to track ducks landing while flying toward me using the 55-300. It's not the same as those Massine canon lenses, for sure, but I don't have $20000 to drop on a camera system. In the winter there were some rare ducks on the river, I got good shots, not as close as the huge lenses. There are rare bees right now and I guarantee my FA 100 f2.8 is among the best for this purpose.

Pentax brings you portability and WR with some key lenses. You have to balance money, utility and preferences. You seem like a pretty technical shooter, and can squeeze performance out of any system which gives you the tools you need.
07-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I have been able to track ducks landing while flying toward me using the 55-300. It's not the same as those Massine canon lenses, for sure, but I don't have $20000 to drop on a camera system. In the winter there were some rare ducks on the river, I got good shots, not as close as the huge lenses. There are rare bees right now and I guarantee my FA 100 f2.8 is among the best for this purpose.

Pentax brings you portability and WR with some key lenses. You have to balance money, utility and preferences. You seem like a pretty technical shooter, and can squeeze performance out of any system which gives you the tools you need.
I agree completely. If I could afford a 1DX and 10K L lenses, it would be a no brainer. But canon doesn't have a crop body that matches the k-5 right now. Even if the 7DII whips the k-5 it won't matter since I won't be able to afford one for years. I think in field situations, the Pentax's SR, and high ISO performance will put it ahead of the canon in most situations.

down the road I can save for a 300DA*, and I think thats all I will need.

07-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

You can remap buttons. Look in the manual for instructions. I'm not sure about the exposure compensation. I'm left-eyed, too, and do use the rear AF button when tracking. I don't find that too inconvenient with the right thumb. Perhaps if you're left-handed the RAW button on the camera's left would be a good choice.
The focus mode button is perfectly placed, making it very easy to drop down to manual. I've done this in the field trying to get insect shots when the autofocus gets confused - mostly because the AF points are large. I'd like to see how much better the K3 handles those situations.

And yeah, that DA300* lens is very attractive...
07-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #36
mee
Site Supporter

look at a dbg4 grip if you go with the K-5 - that will solve the floating pinky issue. Make sure it is made by Pentax and not simply for Pentax if you want the weather sealed version. There are a lot of dbg4 chinese knockoffs.

The only serious downside is that adds weight to the setup.. if you were going for lightweight. So it is a tradeoff.
07-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
But canon doesn't have a crop body that matches the k-5 right now.
I disagree.
A 7D demolishes a 50D and a K-5 in AF, especially for moving objects and basic configurability. You can get a used 7D for about $700 right now.
What high ISO situations would you be shooting at (details please)?

M
07-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I disagree.
A 7D demolishes a 50D and a K-5 in AF, especially for moving objects and basic configurability. You can get a used 7D for about $700 right now.
What high ISO situations would you be shooting at (details please)?

M
anything above 1600 plus and you start seeing real differences. by 3200 its not a contest. The chroma noise on the canon sensor is far more offensive, even in the new 70D

k5 for 400 or 7D for 700? meh I personally don't think its that much more camera

I don't really get caught up in all the billion and one AF points. The 50D and K-5 meet all my autofocus needs. I would rather have the ability to shoot better high ISO.

K50 vs the 70D- the K-50 has the same sensor as the K-5, the 70D is the best canon has to offer in a crop body:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=pe...dget=1&x=0&y=0

Last edited by Venom3300; 07-21-2014 at 09:55 AM.
07-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

No opinion other than practice with manual until you can tell the difference from AF. DA 55-300/K-5 from old guy hands. Work with what you have and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by lukulele; 07-14-2015 at 08:32 AM.
07-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ thats what I'm saying. I have no problems with the K-5 AF. So to be the 7D has no advantage.
07-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
You can remap buttons. Look in the manual for instructions. I'm not sure about the exposure compensation. I'm left-eyed, too, and do use the rear AF button when tracking. I don't find that too inconvenient with the right thumb. Perhaps if you're left-handed the RAW button on the camera's left would be a good choice.
The focus mode button is perfectly placed, making it very easy to drop down to manual. I've done this in the field trying to get insect shots when the autofocus gets confused - mostly because the AF points are large. I'd like to see how much better the K3 handles those situations.

And yeah, that DA300* lens is very attractive...
The Raw button would be a good choice. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to do that.
07-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
just an update for everyone- I have been converted. I have bought a K-5 from a user here, and am in the process of selling off my canon gear.
07-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

I look forward to seeing some results as you learn the system.