Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #1

Exif?

Hey Guy's Am I the only one that doesn't know what EXIF means? I figure it's the date & time of photo. But don't know what the Acronym is? Have Great few day's of shooting!!

07-09-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is EXIF

"EXIF is short for Exchangeable Image File, a format that is a standard for storing interchange information in digital photography image files using JPEG compression. Almost all new digital cameras use the EXIF annotation, storing information on the image such as shutter speed, exposure compensation, F number, what metering system was used, if a flash was used, ISO number, date and time the image was taken, whitebalance, auxiliary lenses that were used and resolution. Some images may even store GPS information so you can easily see where the images were taken!

EXIFdata.com is an online applicatation that lets you take a deeper look at your favorite images!" Quoted from Walmart site.
07-09-2014, 02:01 AM   #3

The Exif will tell you what the photographer has used to achieve the image and give you some idea what it takes to put together a great shot. There You find all the data/settings from the camera.

I use this tool for Pentax (supported .PEF files too):
Import, rename, view, organize, tag and geotag photos - EXIF & IPTC metadata - PIE - Picmeta Systems
07-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

http://bit.ly/1r7ZJbl

07-09-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a trememdous amount of information logged within the EXIF area. Its generally referred to as meta data, or data that describes the main object that it is attached to.

Another good utility is PhotoMe
07-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Silkzone Quote
Am I the only one that doesn't know what EXIF means
Welcome to the forum, no I'm sure there are others, just that they haven't ask yet.