Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Returning to Pentax Forums

I have been absent from PF for a few months. I recently moved from Los Angeles to central Florida. The only internet service available here is with my phone when I drive into Polk City, about 16 miles away. I would love to share some pictures of the Green Swamp and its abundant wildlife. Perhaps I could find an internet cafe in Polk City or Clermont...

07-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome back, it's hard to believe in this day and age the super fast internet access is not available everywhere, for everyone and for free.

Scotland has many "dead zones" for comms in general, even hard wired comms, due remote locations and mountains getting in the way.
07-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd have to get satellite internet access. Available everywhere in the US. I'd go stark-raving mad without internet.
07-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back! One good thing about not having Internet access is that it will save you heaps of money More time to shoot, less time to obsess over what gear to buy next...

07-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have to say, it is surprising to me you can live in US of A and not have Internet access. I have just been to Sahara and there was Internet everywhere! Ok, so it was only the fringe of the desert, but still. What to you do out there apart from wrestle with them gators?

And since you have been away from civilization: No there's still no FF Pentax on the horizon.
07-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back!

- What is invisible, all around us and we can not live without?
- Air?
- NO! WiFi!!!!!
07-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome back, it's hard to believe in this day and age the super fast internet access is not available everywhere, for everyone and for free.

Scotland has many "dead zones" for comms in general, even hard wired comms, due remote locations and mountains getting in the way.
Broadband Map - Technology - National Broadband Map

The map shows that no population = no broadband Internet.

We can thank the Telecommunications Act of 1996 for that in the US...

There are 3,144 counties or county equivalents in the US. 50% of the population lives in 196 of them.

07-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There are 3,144 counties or county equivalents in the US. 50% of the population lives in 196 of them.
That's just an amazing statistic.
07-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Broadband Map - Technology - National Broadband Map

The map shows that no population = no broadband Internet.

We can thank the Telecommunications Act of 1996 for that in the US...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That's just an amazing statistic.
It is, but when you think about it on a state by state and city by city basis, it seems totally plausible.
07-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm a retired telecommunications engineer. One of the reasons I moved here was to form a start-up internet service provider.
Unfortunately, now that I have a boat, I spend more time taking pictures in the swamp than I spend scouting tower sites.
I will stop by a Starbucks in town and upload a few pictures eventually.
07-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I'd have to get satellite internet access. Available everywhere in the US. I'd go stark-raving mad without internet.
I just returned from an enforced 'simple' vacation intentionally taken without internet capable devices (availability of a signal notwithstanding) or television present.

The first day I enjoyed the remote scenery and cool breezes so much I didn't even notice. Same the second.

The third I wondered what was happening in the world.

The fourth was my birthday. It felt like every other day for the last (many) years.

The fifth I suffered about half an hour of information withdrawal, so I went for a hike. The shakes stopped.

When I got my car out of airport storage and got home I forgot to take my tablet out of the trunk for three hours. It was quiet and peaceful.

It is now ten days later. I'm a basket case and I'm officially OLD.