Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello new to Pentax

Good day all, I'm fairly new to the photography world been doing it off and on for a year.
I recently did the switch from Nikon D50 to a Pentax K50, I seem to be having trouble with my color and sizing of my pictures is there anyone that can tell me how i can fix my problem?
Thank you!

07-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sure many here would love to help but you will need to ask more specific questions and perhaps posting an image with the EXIF intact so we can see what is happening.
07-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, are you to provide a little more detail as to what it is your trying to do?
07-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ive taken pictures many times and my images change each time i dont touch any settings they sometimes come out as thumbnail and other times they are ok.
as for my colors i take pictures on a bright day and they come out dark i end up brightening up in photoshop i can post a picture once i figure out how as im totally new to all this.

07-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no answer to why you would have only a thumbnail.

For the brightness - what modes are you shooting in, and what metering setup are you using?
07-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hope i did this right. lol

---------- Post added 07-22-14 at 08:58 AM ----------

this was in
av
1/6000
f10
iso 800
with a 200mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
07-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Jade,

You have three controls:
Aperture - how big the hole the light comes through is
Shutter speed - how long that hole is open
ISO - how sensitive the camera is to the light that comes in

In your example you used an aperture of f/10 which I think for that shot was too small (aperture is a fraction f/xyz so a larger numeral is a smaller hole. Also your ISO is at 800, which I would use inside or on a very cloudy day. Rule of thumb is to use the lowest ISO possible to get the other settings you need. And third your shutter speed was 1/6000, far faster than you really needed but caused by the ISO being so high. I think ISO in that shot should have been 100 or maybe 200 at most.

The other control you have on your camera is the +/- button called exposure compensation. The camera looks at a scene and decides what the exposure should be but it is not always correct. So the exposure compensation button is your way of saying "hey camera I know you think this is right but I want you to expose this 1 stop brighter". With experience you learn when and how much to use the exposure compensation. Pentax seems to generally under-expose a bit. I usually have my exposure comp set to 1/3 or 2/3 stop up. But each scene and often different lenses require different settings.

May I suggest you get a book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen. It is often recommended and gives starting photographers a basic grasp of how your camera works to get a proper exposure. We can critique your images and offer advice but a basic understanding of the principles gives you a better foundation.
07-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you!!

07-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jade Quote
Thank you!!
You are most welcome. Please feel free to post other examples and keep shooting. The only way to improve in this game is to shoot, look at the results and try to figure out why you got what you did.

You have an LCD screen on the camera, use that to check. It's not 100% reliable but will give you an idea of whether you are close. You might also turn on the histogram and learn how to use that to see where your exposure is.

And remember there is always more to learn, try to master just one thing at a time, get that right and then build on it to improve.
07-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree with jatrax's advice, especially Understanding Exposure. It is a fantastic learning resource, and as practical as can be.

Did you buy the camera new? I suggest you go into the menus and reset each section to factory defaults. I believe that would be three different resets. Maybe try shooting in P-mode until you are more familiar with exposure. The settings in your photo are quite odd.
07-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The settings in your photo are quite odd.
Yes, and I went back and looked again and exposure compensation is at -1/3 stop. You also seem to have auto bracketing on, which might explain the odd settings. I would turn that off before you do anything else.
07-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yes i bought the camera new!
how do i turn that off?

---------- Post added 07-22-14 at 10:50 AM ----------

i have been playing in the manual setting working alot better then the av setting i actually like the colors that are showing up now lol
thank you all for your help im sure ill have a ton more questions
07-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter

how do i turn that off?
It is the exposure mode. You have choices of single/burst/timer/bracketing and some others. I don't have k-50 so not 100% sure how to change. On k-5 & k-3 it is the 'up' button on the 4 way controller. The button graphic looks like a stack of cards sort of. press up and select single shot. If k-50 is different sorry you might have to look in the manual or maybe someone else can help.
07-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
think im getting it, this one is
manual
1/100
f4
iso 800
28mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
07-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
think im getting it, this one is
manual
1/100
f4
iso 800
28mm
You would have a higher quality photo with a lower shutter speed and lower ISO, e.g. 1/50s, ISO 400. Shutter speed for stationary subjects should be 1/equivalent focal length. For a 28mm lens, that would be 1/28(1.5) = 1/40s minimum. Your K-50 has shake reduction, so you should be able to reduce when needed. I typically use 1/focal length, because I know that is pretty safe. For the photo above, I would have chosen 1/20 or 1/30 sec.

Try resetting each section of the menu like I advised earlier. That will resolve your bracketing issue and possibly your ISO 800 issue as well. Something else to try, shoot in manual or Av, or whichever mode you like, then shoot a duplicate in Green mode, so you can check your results vs. the choices the camera made.