Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

A Pentax and DSLR newbie

Hello,

I'm new to Pentax and the world of DSLR generally. I had a Canon Point and Shoot which served me very well until the battery just stopped charging. So I graduated to a mirror-less - Panasonic G5 which I quite like. I started taking some course because I'm interested in going (semi) pro and thought it might be useful to get a good DSLR. I'm a contrarian my nature so I automatically won't get a Nikon and Canon. I narrowed down my options to Olympus, Sony and Pentax. So far, the Olympus k5 seems to be the best best for my pocket and my (for now) modest ambitions.

07-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kanfranben Quote
Hello,

So far, the Olympus k5 seems to be the best best for my pocket and my (for now) modest ambitions.
Welcome to the Pentax forums. Does Olympus make a K5 as well?

You might like this thread...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/109990-we-really-rare.html
07-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Welcome to the Pentax forums. Does Olympus make a K5 as well?

You might like this thread...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/109990-we-really-rare.html
Oops typo - Pentax K5. Excitement at finding this forum :-)
07-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think it is a great idea to go against Canon or Nikon just for the sake of being different. You should assume that a camera system with interchangeable lenses will cost a lot more than your initial body and lens; and once you are in a system, it is very hard to change, without losing a lot of your investment.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good reasons to go with Pentax, or else I would not be here. But in keeping with the fairness that characterizes this forum, there are some reasons not to go with Pentax, like an outdated flash system, and weak 3rd party lens/accessories support. So you really have to be comfortable with your choice.

If you like the Panasonic, you might want to consider another Panasonic, just because the menu layout will be kinda similar. (The Pentax menus are very well organized, so that won't be a problem per se -- you just might have trouble going back to the Panasonic!)

OK, with all that out of the way, now I can say, Pentax is awesome, you will definitely enjoy the K-5, if that is where you land!

07-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum. One advantage of Pentax is the many years of good glass that you can use, usually quite cheaply.
07-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum I was in your situation only a few months back I guess what made my decision to go Pentax was the ability to take rechargeable batteries in some of the cameras and the weather resistance in both lens and body. I have managed to get a good collection of lenses due to what Mark said lots of good glass to last many years I have a couple of old manual lenses which aren't an issue as my pentax k-50 lets me know with a beep when in focus.

A camera is a very personal choice I think if you have a short list go try them out in hand see what feels comfortable have a play and see if the operation feels natural. If you can't decide maybe rent a couple of different ones before investing in lenses.

It doesn't matter which camera you go there will always be a bigger and better one come out the minute you have decided hehe. I haven't had an issue with 3rd party lenses but that may be because I am new and still have lots to collect . I have pentax, sigma then samyang guess I had better get a tamron at some stage . But no matter what camera it comes down to the foremost important thing is the person shooting
No matter which way you go you are in for a world of never ending learning and be warned there is an inherent disease that comes with a DSLR called LCA Lens Collection Addiction it takes very little time to manifest once you have a DSLR in hand hehe
Have lots of fun the folks here are great and have already helped me numerous times.
07-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kanfranben Quote
Excitement at finding this forum
Welcome to the forum, long may you have that feeling.

07-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Pentax and DSLR newbie

Welcome! About year ago I was newbie, not like you, but really, really newbie in the world of photography, not just DSLR. Fortunately, my colleague at work was persistent and pulled me to photograph. First I bought a Sony NEX 5N, but the camera is too small for me. Later I bought a used Pentax K-7, which thrilled me! In February this year there was an opportunity, so I bought a new K-3. I'm in love with this camera and I'm addicted to it. I enjoy every moment, I love photography and Pentax. I hope that your story be similar to mine! Good Luck!