Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Many Years of Point and Shoot in Rough Conditions... Now DSLR!

The K-50 just makes perfect sense... I do not own a car, so I get around either on foot or on my bike - mostly the latter! As such I didn't want something that would crap out if it got a bit wet, plus the K mount lens market is pretty amazing! I like to keep things in manual mode and take my time with each shot, imagining exactly what I wish to capture from the moment and then going for it. I carry this mentality from my Canon Point and shoot, which has been good to me for a year or so - Kodak ez share for many years before that... both cameras were with me for alot of great times! Oh for so many years how I longed for manual focus, for faster glass, for greater sharpness, for a lens with different capabilities than what was permanently mounted! Finally the investment made... and its only been a few days but wow is it such an amazing feeling to capture images much much closer to the way I wish! No fighting autofocus, no dealing with a noisy iso 100 and the slow shutters inevitably required to get the shot! Learned alot dealing with these shortcomings... now to new horizons!

In short, I love photography and look forward to cataloging a unique perspective while linear time brings new experiences to share. This DSLR thing is alot of fun and very glad to have found this wonderful camera and this incredibly complimentary community

My Flickr is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115086575@N06/
And Tumblr is here: Reflective Insight

07-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CrankyElbow Quote
The K-50 just makes perfect sense... I do not own a car, so I get around either on foot or on my bike - mostly the latter! As such I didn't want something that would crap out if it got a bit wet, plus the K mount lens market is pretty amazing! I like to keep things in manual mode and take my time with each shot, imagining exactly what I wish to capture from the moment and then going for it. I carry this mentality from my Canon Point and shoot, which has been good to me for a year or so - Kodak ez share for many years before that... both cameras were with me for alot of great times! Oh for so many years how I longed for manual focus, for faster glass, for greater sharpness, for a lens with different capabilities than what was permanently mounted! Finally the investment made... and its only been a few days but wow is it such an amazing feeling to capture images much much closer to the way I wish! No fighting autofocus, no dealing with a noisy iso 100 and the slow shutters inevitably required to get the shot! Learned alot dealing with these shortcomings... now to new horizons!

In short, I love photography and look forward to cataloging a unique perspective while linear time brings new experiences to share. This DSLR thing is alot of fun and very glad to have found this wonderful camera and this incredibly complimentary community

My Flickr is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115086575@N06/
And Tumblr is here: Reflective Insight
Great pictures! Welcome to Pentax forums! I know what you mean about transitioning to DSLR and being blown away by how you are able to capture what you originally intended. I still recall the first picture I took with an old manual focus lens on my new K2OD. The quality of the image was quite a leap from the P&S I was using.
07-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
yea it was so relieving to take *this* shot in particular: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115086575@N06/14508949879/

I've not held a point and shoot that would have focused on such a thin foreground subject, or at least not one that would do it reliably/as fast I could manually focus!

But under certain conditions my lil Canon would do a really nice macro shot - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115086575@N06/14654466281/ ... in a walgreens 8x10 (aka pretty low print quality...) its hard to tell this apart from a more recent K-50 shot - landscape/smaller details there is absolutely no comparison though. That said, its one of 10 that came out right from that night, where the DSLR gets 8 out of 10 and with a greater zoom + a macro lens I'm out of excuses! Tomorrow I'm headed back out to my friends house, a ~20 mile bike ride with a host of beautiful scenes along the way - here is one I took along the way last weekend https://www.flickr.com/photos/115086575@N06/14719971844/
07-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard from way out west!

We have a Chicagoland group Chicago Pentaxians - PentaxForums.com
Eventually we'll plan an outing...if you join you'll get a notice once we do. Mostly it's just figuring out who will take the lead (as with any group).

07-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
Excellent! I'd love to get together, joined and posted
07-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CrankyElbow Quote
I longed for manual focus, for faster glass
Welcome here, I'm liking you already and we've only just met, as you speak my language.