Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

I'm new to 35mm photography

I currently own a Pentax k1000, super program, and program plus I know nothing about 35mm film but I have this infatuation with it already I have bought a lot of film but only a handful come out decent (5 out of 24 per roll) I would like advice on settings, etc. etc. I'm not trying to be a professional but at least know the basic any help is welcome please message me here, or email me at ***not a good idea to leave your email address in an open forum*** so email address removed to protect you from spammers

Last edited by photolady95; 07-22-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: removed email address
07-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't say what photography expeience you have. When I started out with film It was recommended to keep a journal recording the shot and settings. Then when the film got processed I could see what worked in different situations and what didn't. To try to give you settings would be nye on to impossible since settings change with lighting, subject, what look you are trying to achieve , film etc.
That said the K-1000 is a simple camera to learn on as long as you have the needle in the open area in the center you should have a reasonably well exposed shot . That is if your meter is correct. then you only need to get focus. Remember to set the ASA/ISO for the film speed you are using . There are some really good books out there that can help with lighting ,,composition understanding how iso, shutter speed, and aperture work together.
Welcome to PF
07-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! As long as you set the correct F-stop and shutter speed for a given situation, you can't go wrong. Plus, of course, but to a slightly lesser extent, ISO/ASA settings. I suggest you start with the simple rule of shutter speed 1:60 or faster for shooting without a tripod, with a 50mm lens or similar, 1:200 and faster for a 200mm lens, etc, and work from there. Pay attention to metering and so long as you keep your exposures roughly correct, you should have a better success rate than 5 from 24. As patrick9 said, keep a record of what your settings were with a given shot. You can also shoot multiple shots of the same subject, from the same location, trying different settings and so long as you keep a record of what you were doing, you should see the differences very quickly.

Have a look at your film's age: If the film is past the expiry date, and, especially if you don't know the conditions the film was stored in, then you could get wildly different results from 'old' film. This may 'cloud' your written down results. As a general rule, 'slower' film (lower ISO number) will store better than 'faster' film. (Higher ISO number)
07-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #4

What is wrong with the other photos form your roll? It's hard to help you if we can't figure out what the problem is.

07-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Bare bones basics here:

1: Check you are loading each camera correctly. It's pretty similar for most 35mm cameras, but people new to film can often make mistakes.

2: Set the film speed on the camera, on the K1000 you lift a ring around the shutter speed dial and turn it until the number in the small window matches the film you've just loaded (ie: 200 for 200asa film) the film speed is usually listed on the canister, but the name is often a giveaway, Kodak Gold200 is 200asa, Kodak Ektar100 is 100asa, etc. (higher ASA means the film is more sensitive to light, but generally more grainy)

3: Learn how the metering in each camera works, on the K1000 there is a needle visible in the viewfinder, you want this to be sitting level, this means your shot will be correctly exposed (or close to) you get this correct by adjusting shutter speed and aperture. Shutter and aperture play off each other in regard to exposure, and also the look of the final image (depth of field, motion blur, etc)
3a: The Program series cameras Should have some automation here, they will allow you to simply adjust the aperture, and the camera will automatically adjust the shutter to match. (there are other modes, but doing a basic reply here)

4: Shoot lots of film, while you're getting into it I suggest using negative film. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to have developed, and more forgiving of exposure being off slightly.
07-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, remember to also enjoy your photography, the leaning curve can also be fun too.