Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 01:57 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Some very nice images ... Merci, J
Thank you Jean, I appreciate the input. I still have a ways to go though before I get the results such as those displayed in your gallery.
Have a brilliant day.

08-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice images. You have clearly an artistic appreciation and have exploited the golden light very nicely.

Looking at EXIF data, I see you are still on Auto mode. A beauty of the K-5 is the TAv mode which I can highly recommend you try out. You can set SS and Aperture and let the ISO float. This gives good control while making you think a bit without too much risk of completely missing the exposure.
08-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Nice images. You have clearly an artistic appreciation and have exploited the golden light very nicely.

Looking at EXIF data, I see you are still on Auto mode. A beauty of the K-5 is the TAv mode which I can highly recommend you try out. You can set SS and Aperture and let the ISO float. This gives good control while making you think a bit without too much risk of completely missing the exposure.
Thanks for the advice and kind words KevinR. I'm still in the learning process and not 100% confident with my abilities just yet. I'm always a little concerned I miss that shot, I think will be outstanding, because of my fumbling and tumbling with apertures and shutter speed.
As a side note I tried the TAv mode for the shots this evening, on your suggestion, but haven't seen the results as yet. I'm hoping I'm not as terrible at working it all out as I think.
It appears 20 years can wipe a relatively large amount of memory off of one.
Thanks again for your input and Greetings from Jozi to the Fair Cape.

Last edited by mindseed; 08-14-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: 'orrible grammar
08-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's how I usually use TAv mode. Pick the aperture first - say f8 for the 55-300, then adjust shutter speed to keep the ISO below 800 (lower is better but avoid overexposure). If that's not possible, then start adjusting the two variables. With the FA100mm macro in the field, it's usually f13, and adjusting shutter speed to keep a good ISO. You'll get the feel for the settings you need when overcast or bright, and can preset the settings most of the time. That's where the top LCD screen is handy, you can do a lot just from the hip.

The learning process is fun, and you'll remember what you learn.

08-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #20

Awesome Scenery! Thanks for sharing those great photos
08-15-2014, 04:10 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Here's how I usually use TAv mode. Pick the aperture first - say f8 for the 55-300, then adjust shutter speed to keep the ISO below 800 (lower is better but avoid overexposure). If that's not possible, then start adjusting the two variables. With the FA100mm macro in the field, it's usually f13, and adjusting shutter speed to keep a good ISO. You'll get the feel for the settings you need when overcast or bright, and can preset the settings most of the time. That's where the top LCD screen is handy, you can do a lot just from the hip.

The learning process is fun, and you'll remember what you learn.
Hi TER-OR, thanks for your suggestion. I'll give it another try this afternoon and hopefully the results will be as good as I hope. Always did feel like a bit of a cheat using the Program mode One of the shots I tried last night using TAv locked up the camera i.e. it wouldn't snap the photo. Would this be due to incorrect settings or just not enough light to photograph? There are sometimes it does this with focus, is there anyway to over-ride this? There are times where regardless of what the camera is telling me it doesn't want to shoot, I want it to listen to me regardless.
As you say, it's such a grand and fun learning process that in effect I get the most joy just from the act of taking the photo. It's always awesome discovering the good photo's once inspected on PC, but just the thrill of that moment when you press the shutter release. That frozen moment of time in your head and in the camera. I love it.
I Love my choice of the Pentax K5ii as well, a truly fantastic, rugged camera and grateful for the WR with all the fine dust and tough adventuring my dog takes me on.
Well, after that short novel, thank you again for your input and I'll be reporting back as to the success of my learning process.

QuoteOriginally posted by Saakimori Quote
Awesome Scenery! Thanks for sharing those great photos
Thank you Saakimori That's very kind of you to say. I wish I had the knowledge and know how to truly show the beauty here, perhaps my endeavours in the TAv mode will help my photos represent more truly what nature provides.
Thank you for popping in to take a look. Have a fantastic weekend.
08-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're using P mode, keep doing it - the TAv mode just allows two controls, but if you're comfortable in P it's OK. I don't find I need more control than this, unless I dial in some exposure compensation in specific situations. I also set up a "fast shot" user mode I read about here - where everything is turned off - pretty much no in-camera processing, fast shoot mode, no SR so the camera shoots images as fast as possible - which is handy when the dogs are roughhousing.

What you want to do is set it to shutter priority, I think. The camera by default has focus priority and won't take an image unless focus is locked - you can turn that off and tell it to pay attention to the shutter trigger only. I think that works to remove the exposure priority etc. as well. You may have to research that a little, or ask in the general technique area.

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 07:35 AM ----------

OH - the lockup issue is probably a voltage regulation thing. It happens mostly with fully-charged new batteries. After a couple discharge cycles the problem seems to have disappeared for most people (maybe all). I had it happen again this year when I used a new battery - it caught me off-guard since it hadn't happened since my camera was new. There's no solution but to pop the battery out and replace it.

I often have the camera on dog walks, too. sometimes looking for birds during migration (we live along a migration path river), bees and insects with the macro lens, or just whatever. I may not be the most artistic photographer, but I do notice critters and plants.