Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

New to Pentax from South Africa

Hi
I am not new to photography, but new to Pentax. Disillusioned with the Canon 7D I have decided to make the switch to Pentax with the K3 arriving next week. Should that go well then we could see a second body. In the mean time I'll operate a my trusty Canon 40D body and the K3. But in the mean time I have the following queries:
1) I would like to hear from fellow South Africans shooting Pentax and apart from Fotofirst where is the best place to get Pentax gear?
2) I also have to decide on a flash and would like to proceed to do more studio work. Is there anyone doing studio work and what flash (or flash gear) would they recommend/are using and why? My photography has been very much on the news side (Allied Picture Press) so this will be a new steep learning curve for a self taught person.
Many Thanks
Joe

08-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Hi and welcome!

I can't help you with your questions - shopping photo gear is not what usually brings me to SA

The easiest way to locate other South Africans here is probably to check out the South African Pentax owner group.

And I'm sure you'll get plenty of flash advice over here: Flashes, Lighting, and Studio - PentaxForums.com

Enjoy!
08-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

Seems to me the wireless flash option is the way to go, not that I have direct experience with that.
I use LED panels for close work, it's softer than the flash.
08-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks very much

08-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there are quite a few other South African members here, who might be able to help you with your sourcing issues.
08-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have gone from TTL flash for film cameras which I found very reliable to the digital camera system which I dislike. Almost all my flash work is manual. I would have a godox system see Godox Ving V850 System Review - Introduction - In-Depth Reviews except we in Australia are going through an economic squeeze ie everyone gets squeezed except the rich. You can get yourself a 3 flash system for the cost of one pentax flash. However you being in SA you will need to get it from over seas then to get it past your customs without doubling the price.

With my 2 trips to SA I didn't see another pentax. How would go getting it serviced?
08-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JoeSA Quote
Hi
I am not new to photography, but new to Pentax. Disillusioned with the Canon 7D I have decided to make the switch to Pentax with the K3 arriving next week. Should that go well then we could see a second body. In the mean time I'll operate a my trusty Canon 40D body and the K3. But in the mean time I have the following queries:
1) I would like to hear from fellow South Africans shooting Pentax and apart from Fotofirst where is the best place to get Pentax gear?
2) I also have to decide on a flash and would like to proceed to do more studio work. Is there anyone doing studio work and what flash (or flash gear) would they recommend/are using and why? My photography has been very much on the news side (Allied Picture Press) so this will be a new steep learning curve for a self taught person.
Many Thanks
Joe
Hi Joe and welcome to a great reference on all things Pentax. I don't think I'll be much help with some of your more detailed questions as I'm just a Pentax enthusiast with the usual unhealthy level of LBA. Interesting to see a journal type using anything but C/N. But nothing wrong with P in most areas and excellent in some. A big downside of Pentax in SA is availability of newer kit, while quite a bit of older, and sometimes quite good kit floats on the secondhand market from the Pentax days of yesteryear.
I see you also posted on the SA users group so will respond to resellers there as it will get better responses from the other users and that will hopefully keep us all better informed.
08-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Hi Joe, welcome.... repairs are done by Cameratek on 011-251-2400. I buy direct from Buy Camera, you can ask for
Adriaan Pieterse
Sales Manager
Tel: +27 11 805 7385
Fax: +27 11 805 9985
Cell: +27 82 254 0166

a very helpful gentleman.
I bought my K-30 from Foto First, but since then everything from Buy Camera, at much better deals...

EDIT: You can also contact Brett Skolmen, GM sales and marketing of New Teltron, the distributors, for info, always very helpful....

Last edited by altopiet; 08-02-2014 at 12:37 AM.
08-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, Joe ... hope to see some K-3 images soon! Salut, J
08-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/269047-strobe...-lets-see.html