Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #1

almost all new to pentax, from france

Hi everyone,

Let me shortly introduce myself, which i haven't done since i bought my K-5 II 6 months ago.
I'm Nico from France, globetrotter, and always with a camera in my pocket.
I'm taking pictures since i'm 11/12 yrs old.
I started with "normal" photography end of 80's
In the digital world, I've owned a few SLRs, Nikon D70 and D300 and a lot of compacts, the last in my quiver being a G12 which i also use for underwater photography.

Taking mainly nature/sports/macro/concerts.
I pretty much wanted to go full frame, especially for the light sensitivity of the "big" sensors but the weight+price of all the equipment,the computer storage needed , the (bad) experiences with Nikon and Canon made me think otherwise.

A friend of mind had lent me a K-20 a few years ago with plenty of lenses, i was quite convinced with the package that i went for the following package:
kit : K5 II +DA 18-135
SMC DA 35 mm macro ltd
SMC DA 10-17 fisheye

So far so good, had plenty of fun with the equipment, The body is robust, easy to handle, quick, especially in combination with the 35mm macro, the sharpest lens in my range, and the fisheye.
On the other hand i am pretty disappointed with the 18-135 zoom, which is the least sharp (dslr) lens i've ever owned and is definitely not sharp enough for the 16 mpix of the K5 .

Next step : a good tele or zoom/tele and a maybe a 77mm limited for which i fell in love when i tested it last month.

Have a great day

Nico

08-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! That's a great starting setup. I have no problems with the 18-135 but it should be stopped down to around f8. If yours is new, maybe it should be examined?

I haven't played with the 77mm, but I'd think the 70mm pancake would be fun.
08-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Nico! Looking forward to seeing your images.
08-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! You've got yourself a nice kit there.

Even though the 18-135 is no match for the DA35 macro, it shouldn't be that bad. As TER-OR says, it needs to be stopped down a bit to be at its best, but I find it quite acceptable for a do-it-all lens. Have you checked that it focuses all right? It could be that it needs some adjustment to nail focus. Or, of course, it might be a bad specimen.

08-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, your LBA is developing quite nicely there.
08-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi and nice to meet you all

Thanks for the welcome(s), i am just busy with reorganising my pictures right now and will put some online soon.

Terr or i will also check out the 70mm, maybe a good alternative too.

And for the 18-135, i've tried most possible aperture settings, but will check out more in detail the above 8 stop results vs the rest.

Have a good day !

Nico
08-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A zoom is always a compromise, but the 18-135's flexibility and WR is useful. It won't compare favorably against the good primes if you enlarge to 100% but you don't often need to do that.