Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #1

Old Desperado.... here to say Hello...

Greetings Pentax-ians...

I must admit I decided to finally drop in and say hello, been trawling the forums for a while now aiming to learn as much as I can. I'm an old adventurer type... not really that old... just had a bit of a rough life you see. I'm from the foothills of the Himalaya's, spent my Youth in a Nepalese village. I'm a retired Gurkha. I used to play around as a child with my fathers Camera collection. Never got to know my father he died when I was just two years old but he left me my favourite camera the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic. I still have it to this day with the original case and strap as well as the excellent Takumar Lenses. I learned to use 35mm Praktica and Zenit cameras which were my main tools for photography. I also picked up a few other cameras along the way but it was not till I came to UK in 2008 that I purchased my first Digital point and shoot. It was a Canon Powershot A2300. It has served me well for the last few years. However I would love to get my hands on a DSLR soon.

I have very limited experience with modern video feature on these cameras but am deeply interested in buying either an Olympus Micro Four Thirds... or Pentax Full Frame DSLR like the K30.

I am also looking to buy a Pentax Q very soon. I am obsessed about that little chap... so much fun and practicality in such a little system.

I would love to try to learn more about shooting video on these cameras... that is perhaps the one thing that I struggle most to comprehend with modern cameras... video... as if one can make movies from something so small...

When I was a boy this sort of thing was magical... I really envy todays Youths...

Many thanks for giving me this medium from which I hope to learn more about Pentax cameras and systems. Pentax is a name I can trust and I am sure all you good people will be much help. I take this opportunity to wish you all happy shooting.

Best wishes Saakimori Sadunobu

Wild West Midlands.

08-14-2014, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saakimori Quote
Pentax Full Frame DSLR like the K30.
Welcome aboard PF. But the Pentax K-30 though an excellent DSLR, is not Full Frame.
08-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Its not? Dang....

Are there any full frames anymore?
08-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Pentax does not have full frame yet. Other camera brands do.

08-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well one can only hope things will change soon... I am sure Pentax can and will soon release one...
08-14-2014, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't worry about Full Frame too much, the modern bodies work very well with the older lenses - but the photographer has to do more of the work. Still, some of the vintage lenses produce outstanding images - I think some of that is the person has to pay much more attention to the process, some of it is the old "glass and brass" lenses were really quite good. Pentax bodies are well designed to operate in full manual mode - but do get one with two control wheels.

Don't neglect the used market, here on the Marketplace or in your local area. I had a used K10, and put a split-focus screen like the old SLRs in it, and it was a joy to use with manual lenses. I didn't do this with my K5 (yet), but it still works well for manual focus - if there's plenty of light and I'm wearing my glasses....

Welcome to the clubhouse! Have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions.
08-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Saakimori Quote
I am sure Pentax can and will soon release one...
Welcome to the forum, we certainly hope so, well some of us do...

08-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums, Saakimori. Don't worry too much about full frame. Pentax makes the best APS-C DSLRs. They also have in-body shake reduction which means that if you use older lenses on them you get the benefits of shake reduction. All your Takumar lenses can be used on the new Pentax bodies and many of us like to use them because they are such great pieces of glass.
08-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! You will find there's a healthy bunch of us who want Full Frame! (Even though I'm quite happy with my K-5)