Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Hong Kong

Hey everyone,

I finally ordered my first DSLR camera! (What makes it even better? It's a Pentax!)

For the past 3 years, I've been playing with my Olympus XZ-1, a fabulous little camera. It does most of the things I want -- lots of customizable settings and a fast lens in a (relatively) tiny package. I enjoy traveling with the XZ-1 because of its mobility. Here's a few of my favorite shots from my last trip in Eastern Washington.

More pics in https://plus.google.com/photos/109368487363863200216/albums/6041005069050210...OqFxZqtkcSQnwE

Alright, I really like XZ-1, but I always wanted something more (like all other greedy human beings ). I want an optical viewfinder that functions well when I point at the sun when I do landscape photos. I hate all the noises I see on my camera's LCD in dim environment. I prefer a quicker way to do manual focus instead of clicking many buttons (and then miss my target!). Last but not least, I crave for a good camera that I can take photos in rain (I do have a Pentax Optio W10. Frankly, that thing serves me well for years when I hike, camp and go field trips. Time to get something better though.)

I thought about what options I'd have before ordering the K-50. Canon 100D/SL1 is a solid option, and I like it. My dad visited me two months ago, and he brought along his SL1. I was surprised that a decent DSLR could be so tiny -- in fact, I felt like the SL1 was too small for my hands. Not a big fan of a touchscreen though; I'm a cyclist and my cycling gloves don't pair well with the touchscreen.

And then I saw K-50.

K-50 has a lot of features that attract me. In-body IS which is great for using old lenses. Sensor shift for recomposing. 100% view coverage. Dual control wheels (Two is better than one, right? ), etc. I feel like K-50 is a better camera for me. I started comparing a lot between the K-50 and SL1, and I couldn't make up my mind. Don't forget that my dad has been using Canon DSLRs, and he has a collection of lenses that I can check out in the future.

Annnnd then I saw the $50 off on K-50 kit ad on this website's front page. It was even bundled with a small flash unit and a bag. Great!

After I ordered the K-50 kit, I spent 98% of the $50 saved from buying the kit on a A50/1.7. Got a dollar left for a hamburger

My Pentax life should be fun.

P.S. The weather resistance is really important, since I've been living in Seattle for almost 5 years.

08-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum and thank you for that interesting introduction.
08-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Welcome to the forum and thank you for that interesting introduction.
Thanks.

Uhmmm you're from Perth. I still remember the tasty basket of fish and chip from Fremantle when I was thirteen
08-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
Thanks.

Uhmmm you're from Perth. I still remember the tasty basket of fish and chip from Fremantle when I was thirteen
And you can still buy it there in Fremantle at Ciccerellos

08-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
And you can still buy it there in Fremantle at Ciccerellos
Oh and the farmstay I had was fun too! Woke up early in the morning and started feeding animals then chase them till I was tired. Went back to the cozy cabin and start chopping logs to fuel the furnace
08-15-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

Those are great images of some interesting landscape.

Two control wheels - very important. I use TAv mode most of the time, and it's so easy to control.
08-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard!

Those are great images of some interesting landscape.

Two control wheels - very important. I use TAv mode most of the time, and it's so easy to control.
Yeah. My XZ-1 got two wheels and I love it. Not many compact camera would offer that
08-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, your first couple of images of Hong Kong had me confused for a wee while there.

08-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, your first couple of images of Hong Kong had me confused for a wee while there.
Lololol no. Those pics I posted are from a trip in Eastern Washington, US. I was travelling near Pullman, WA.