Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 04:25 AM   #1

Hy everybody from Brussels

I am a longtime Pentax user (from an MX in the seventies then another, then a Z10, Z1, Z1p to the jump into digital with K10D, K20D, K5 and now K3, plus my father's P30, i still own most of them). I also collected a number of lenses, trading some in and out (I should rationalize my 20-70mm lineup, I know, any good offers?) while I am in a pickle currently on ultrawides. THe 12-24 fell to the ground and took up a certain slack, which means it works but sometimes I have to push it back otherwise it does not reach infinity focus. I am now in doubt whether to buy the Samyang 10mm or the Sigma 8-16mm. This of course would influence the choice of which second zoom to keep for the higher focus range.

I also am in search of something longer than the 300mm, the Sigma 600 I recently bought is not great and in any case is too long for many uses.

I am photographing mainly during my travels (landscape, architecture, animals and flowers), but I have also some side shows due to my other interests, i.e. aircraft/military and underwater photography.

08-15-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

I'd repair that 12-24, it's probably worth repairing.

The Sigma 8-16 is a really special lens, it's very fun. It's also getting very expensive.

Long lenses are tough for Pentax, and not cheap from anyone. Some people have adapted spottings scopes, you might want to research that.

You remind me I need to process and post my last set of pictures from the USAF Museum.
08-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks!

The one in Dayton? Been there a long time ago, mid nineties… must have a lot of new exhibits….

The 12-24 repair costs as a new 10-20 or so, only have the calibration instruments at Pentax Paris… not worth it, I can still use it, just a bit awkward, but time is normally not that critical on such lenses.
08-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to a long term Pentax user, that's quite a large photographic genre your trying to encompass. I think you should buy all the available lenses and be done with it, that way guaranteed the correct one for every occasion.

08-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
Not if I have to carry them in my backpack. How are you using the 28 shift? On film? Or for panos?
08-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by subfly Quote
How are you using the 28 shift?
I used mainly in the days of film, when I did not want to appear in the reflections, as PS hadn't been invented yet.