Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Hey guys! Great to be here!

Hi all!
I am a college student in the southern US. I bought a used K-x on ebay before a study abroad trip to the UK and Europe. Since that time, I have learned a lot about photography (and wanting to kick myself for not shooting RAW sooner). I have taken about 8k pics with my K-x, but am looking to upgrade to a k-5 for the weather sealing, reduced ISO noise, and higher dynamic range from the k-x. The weather sealing would be nice because I like shooting storms, but normally have to stay inside or under awnings to keep the camera dry.

My favorite things to shoot currently are landscapes and night shots.

Here are a few from my trip to London. Keep in mind I had only had a DSLR for about a month at this point, was still shooting JPEG only, and did not have a tripod, so I was having to improvise with with coins and my lens cap on top of tables or trash cans.

These were all shot at 100 ISO with the in-camera HDR turned on standard mode with a primary shutter time of 2.5 seconds.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
08-16-2014, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #2

Welcome to the forums.
I've only just joined myself but had been browsing them for quite a while and there's a wealth of information to be found. And it does seem a pleasant and helpful community.

You just gotta love night shots, especially in a city like London. Yours are way better than mine, before I had a tripod, but maybe I just didn't have enough coins to make them right...
08-16-2014, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! I would say your improvisations turned out rather good

WR, high DR, and low noise are all good reasons for getting a K-5 - or maybe a K-5iis? The higher resolution won't hurt either. A wonderful camera for landscapes.

Good luck with your hunt
08-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! I really appreciate that.
The k5iis would be pretty awesome, but it is hard to find in my college student budget, but I would definitely like to try to find one for the improved low light AF.

The funny thing was that I bought my kx with full intent to resell when I got back from my trip, but I was totally hooked by that point.

08-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photography is not the worst thing to get hooked on - it doesn't even have to be a terribly expensive hobby.

I would say going from a Kx to a K-5 will be quite a step up. I know a lot complain about the AF performance, but I have rarely had any problems. Of course, I don't shoot much indoors, and not a lot of action. Mostly wildlife and landscapes, and for that I have found it excellent.

The K30/K50 also have improved AF over the K-5, btw. You might miss some other features, though.
08-16-2014, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
so I was having to improvise
Welcome to the forum, sounds like the required stuff to make a great photographer, just work with what you've got... the image is all that matters.
08-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, sounds like the required stuff to make a great photographer, just work with what you've got... the image is all that matters.
Thanks! Luckily my phone has an IR blaster, so I programmed it to the Pentax remote codes and used it to trigger the shots so I wouldn't move the camera.
08-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
Luckily my phone has an IR blaster
Is it an iPhone by any chance? if so tell us all more...

08-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Is it an iPhone by any chance? if so tell us all more...
Haha sorry, it's a Samsung GS4 Active. I'm sure Apple will add IR support to iPhone soon.

Also, general rule of thumb for used cameras is to look for something with what, <25k clicks? Preferably lower?