Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New to Forum

I'm in the process of returning to Pentax with the purchase of a K3. I received a K1000 for graduation in 1983, but first foray into digital was with an olympus 520e - very nice and compact and performed well, even after dropping it onto stone floor in a french chateau! But I couldn't get a good low light lens for wildlife shooting, and I'm ready to step up to a big boy camera with more support than the 520E. I am especially drawn to the WR features of Pentax, especially after a muggy shooting experience in Costa Rica.

I'm adding the 55-300 kit lens, but am really struggling with a shorter lens choice - do I forgo WR for a good lens and then add a cheaper WR model, or do I even do some primes instead of a low end zoom. I think I'd like the 20-40mm, but the $$ scares me off. My old k1000 had a 50 mm and then a 80-200 zoom (cheap zoom), and seemed to cover the world just fine - but, like wine, my tastes have grown more expensive even if my judgement has not improved!

08-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and, I suppose, welcome back to the world of Pentax.

You could look into the DA 35mm f2.4. It has a great price and reviews are pretty good. I have its sibling, the 50mm f1.8 and am really happy with it, though their all plastic body is a drawback and neither are WR.
But except for wide angle that should have the basics covered with the least $ spent.

Chances are, that you will spend it eventually
I'm somewhat where you are, just stepped up to the K3 and, where for years I was happy enough with my 2 kit lenses, am now slowly adding to my lens collection. Err, well at least I try to do it slowly... that wine cellar is getting costly!
08-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it's been a while you been away from Pentax, one or two changes have happened since K1000.
08-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 55-300 for birding and I am happy with it.

I also have the 35mm 2.4 and it rocks...... I never leave home without it.

08-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum, I have the 55-300 WR that barely leaves my camera, I must say the two things that drew me to pentax were the weather resistance and the ability to take batteries in body on the k-50. I too have the 50mm/1.8 i do like it also and can be got for a good price. I am waiting on the 18-135 WR I hear very good things about it I have also noticed a slight price drop for it as well. Maybe that could be an option for you. Welcome again and have fun.
08-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
After nearly chickening out and ordering the K5iis, I ordered the K3 last night. With the grip and flucard deal from B&H the price difference from the k5iis was only about $300, which I thought was reasonable for a more current camera (the speed of electronic obsolescence drives me nuts). Picked up the 2 year warranty extension for $20 to allay my concerns of crazy mirror problems (not that I'm likely to use it enough to ever see the issue). Fundamentally, I'm not a pro so if the camera had to be sent in for an adjustment it wouldn't be too damaging (unless it was in the wrong month, of course).

Also picked up a used 43mm 1.9 limited to go with the WR zooms. Just need a macro now, and a bag bigger than my Lowepro 102 that can still fit under an airline seat...

I'm very excited to see the difference that 5 years makes from my Olympus E-520 technology in the camera - and the difference of much better glass.