Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello fellow Pentaxians! Need some input

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey, I'm new to the forums, glad I finally signed up after years of owning a pentax K-x And shooting photos for the last decade! I'm looking for some advice on third party lenses for my K-x. I'm interested in the sigma 18-300 mm zoom apo lens and the comparable Tamron with the same specs. And a nice wide angle (maybe around 20mm) for general landscape shots. I'm on a budget of under 200.00 per lens. I also am aware I can use the Old k mounts but have a hard time finding any in my area that are worth my time. I would love auto focus ones but for the money I'll take what I can get. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping to find something for a trip in October. I volunteer for Young Marines and do Photography for the kids and staff. So anything within those specs (preferably fast focusing lenses without cranking up the ISO, even tho I love my kxs low light capability). Thank you so much for reading and responding. Great to be here
-Tay

08-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Any thought to getting two lenses without overlapping ranges? I.e. something like a 24mm and a 55-300?

Haven't used the 18-200's and 18-250's, so I'm no help there. All of those ultra-long-ranges will be AF though. None of them will focus incredibly fast.

I'm not aware of 18-300's in K mount, but that's not my specialty so I could be way off.
08-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Stermtrooper Quote
Hey, I'm new to the forums, glad I finally signed up after years of owning a pentax K-x And shooting photos for the last decade! I'm looking for some advice on third party lenses for my K-x. I'm interested in the sigma 18-300 mm zoom apo lens and the comparable Tamron with the same specs. And a nice wide angle (maybe around 20mm) for general landscape shots. I'm on a budget of under 200.00 per lens. I also am aware I can use the Old k mounts but have a hard time finding any in my area that are worth my time. I would love auto focus ones but for the money I'll take what I can get. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping to find something for a trip in October. I volunteer for Young Marines and do Photography for the kids and staff. So anything within those specs (preferably fast focusing lenses without cranking up the ISO, even tho I love my kxs low light capability). Thank you so much for reading and responding. Great to be here
-Tay
Versatile zoom range, fast focus, and cheap....that's an almost impossible combination. The fastest focusing versatile zoom that doesn't cost much would have to the kit lens DA L 50-200. Here's one used for 75 dollars:

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-50-200mm-4-0-5-6-Samsung-Digital/dp/B004FRYIMA/...=pentax+50+200

In addition to this lens, I would always keep a compact camera in my pocket; for instance a cheap Optio E90. If you need a shorter focal length than 50mm for a shot, use your compact camera.

The other lenses you mention, Sigma 18-200, and also Tamron 18-200 for tat matter, are simply too slow and optically no good. I wouldn't spend 200 dollars on them. 75 dollars for the 50-200 is a good deal if you ask me.
08-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For $200 per lens, I'd probably say your best bet would be to get the DA16-45 f4 and the DA55-300, both lenses you'd have to buy on the used market to hit your price points. The DA55-300 is not a super fast focuser, but it's pretty good for most uses. I remember using that lens with my KX when I had it in a concert enviroment and the lighting was very low. Pic quality is very good with both lenses - good color, sharp, and not too large.
If you want an all in one, perhaps consider the sigma 18-250 - it is regarded to have better image quality than the 18-200. I have it and though I've only used it a couple times, it's pretty good for a superzoom. That's to say, I understand it is compromised by design, but it's convenient to not have to change lenses. I would think getting this for under $300 should be do-able. And I think it's a hsm lens which is a silent motor for focusing.

08-20-2014, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you want a cheap auto-focus zoom that has pretty decent IQ, I suggest either the Tamron 28-200mm or the rebadged Promaster 28-200mm. I have both and they are on my camera and my wife's camera most of the time. I've bought mine off E-bay for between $40 and $50 with hood. I'm pretty sure the Pentax FA 28-200 is the same Tamron lens. All of these lenses are heavy.

There are 3 versions of the older Tamron lens --> Tamron 28-200 differences. My Promaster is the 371D model and my Tamron is the 571D.

This Promaster version on E-bay looks like the 571D model.

Promaster Tamron AF 28 200mm F3 8 5 6 LD If Asherical Lens for Pentax FA AF | eBay

And here is a Tamron 571D model.

Tamron 28 200 mm F 3 8 5 6 Aspherical LD If Lens for Pentax | eBay

Here are a couple of shots from the Promaster version.

Tim
08-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Awesome thanks guys, yeah I figured I'd upgrade my lenses as my camera is still performing quite well and hasn't aged too bad. I have the pentax 18-200 kit lens and it sucks. It was dropped and its like looking through a mesh screen. But even before the drop it was a super slow focuser. Vagrants suggestion suits me well as I also love to do band photography and prefer to not use flash during shows. I don't mind trying scour the lands of eBay for lenses I just am not efficient at winning bids. I'm a buy it now kinda guy when it comes to eBay. Hah. Man promasters take me back, thanks again guys. Good to know there's some quality lenses that perform that don't cost a dick and a ball. I knew there had to be some options other than the sigma and tamron for $150-$200. Those shots look great btw! We have a ton of wildlife in my backyard so a nice zoom will showcase the lovely flora and birds.
08-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Any thought to getting two lenses without overlapping ranges? I.e. something like a 24mm and a 55-300?

Haven't used the 18-200's and 18-250's, so I'm no help there. All of those ultra-long-ranges will be AF though. None of them will focus incredibly fast.

I'm not aware of 18-300's in K mount, but that's not my specialty so I could be way off.
Yeah most definitely. I would love a 24mm but if I have overlapping ranges it's ok because of how much I can spend I suppose you gotta make sacrifices

---------- Post added 08-20-14 at 07:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
If you want a cheap auto-focus zoom that has pretty decent IQ, I suggest either the Tamron 28-200mm or the rebadged Promaster 28-200mm. I have both and they are on my camera and my wife's camera most of the time. I've bought mine off E-bay for between $40 and $50 with hood. I'm pretty sure the Pentax FA 28-200 is the same Tamron lens. All of these lenses are heavy.

There are 3 versions of the older Tamron lens --> Tamron 28-200 differences. My Promaster is the 371D model and my Tamron is the 571D.

This Promaster version on E-bay looks like the 571D model.

Promaster Tamron AF 28 200mm F3 8 5 6 LD If Asherical Lens for Pentax FA AF | eBay

And here is a Tamron 571D model.

Tamron 28 200 mm F 3 8 5 6 Aspherical LD If Lens for Pentax | eBay

Here are a couple of shots from the Promaster version.

Tim
Tim thank you so much For the links. Tremendous help. Definitely gonna scoop these up. Can't beat the prices!

08-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Promaster (and Pentax rebadge?) 28-105 lenses are pretty good, snappy autofocus and very nice in the mid-zoom range. They're not the easiest to find, but keep an eye open. These are well below your budget.

The 16-45 and DAL 55-300 are probably good recommendations too. Both within budget. The 16-45 was my standard short-zoom for a long time. I don't use it much anymore since I got the 18-135.

Wide angle primes are going to be a bit more tough to find, though the DA 35 f2.4 used might do the trick. Not very wide, but a good "normal" view. Same with the older Sigma 24mm lenses, those are worth looking for. I think the Auto-Wide series was supposed to be pretty nice.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/266590-sal...-24-135-a.html
That's intriguing.

Last edited by TER-OR; 08-20-2014 at 11:55 AM.
08-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the Promaster 28-200mm and must say for the cost it's a good lens. Oh yea I got mine for 25 bucks with free shipping off e-bay.
08-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Lots of good info on the replies already, I'll just say welcome to the forum then.
08-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stermtrooper Quote
I don't mind trying scour the lands of eBay for lenses I just am not efficient at winning bids. I'm a buy it now kinda guy when it comes to eBay.
Try a sniper service like http://www.ezsniper.com Gives you a much better chance of winning and you might land a real bargain.

BTW, I agree with the suggestions for Pentax DA 16-45 and 55-300. Both outstanding value at less than $200. The extra width of the 16-45 (compared to the usual 18-xx) is much harder to come by than the 46mm-54mm at the other end. The 55-300 is very good for birds and other wildlife. Neither is especially fast (ie maximum aperture is not really wide), but good wide open. Fast lenses with AF, like a 70-200 f2.8, cost a lost more and are also larger and heavier.

If you have enough change left over, get a small cheap prime, like the manual focus Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 (readily available for about $50-70) or the autofocus DA 50 f1.8. Either is excellent for portraits, low-light shooting, for short depth of field and (with an extension tube or close-focus filter) for macro. It will complement your zooms perfectly. The DA 35mm f2.4 is another excellent cheap prime; although it is not as fast as the 50s, 35mm is a more versatile focal length.