Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from NJ

Hi All....My name is Carynn and I just bought a K-50 kit with 2 lenses; 18-55mm and 50-200mm....I'm very excited! My first SLR was a Pentax Spotmatic F that I bought in New York City back in the '70's; have quite a few lenses for it that I hope I'll be able to use with my new K-50. Long ago I got a point and shoot and the Spotmatic F got put up and I haven't used it in years. I decided I wanted to use a SLR camera again so I looked at Canon and Nikon but remembered how nice my Spotmatic F was and what great pictures it took and decided that I needed to stay with Pentax. I'm glad I did.... I remember so little about using an SLR camera so I'll be reading everything you have to offer here....I've got a lot to learn....I look forward to talking with y'all from time to time.

08-20-2014, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board with us.
08-21-2014, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Carynn! Any old K-mount lenses can be used without adapters, and screw mount with adapter. Like you, I took years before going to a DSLR from an SLR and I'm finding it very satisfying - especially as I can use my old glass. (And just tonight, I bought another lens secondhand, cheap, online - how good is that!
08-21-2014, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! You're going to have some fun learning to use the old lenses - Manual Mode won't be any problem for you with all the film experience.

08-21-2014, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, all good news on the lens front, enjoy using both your new and your old equipment again.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-14-2014 at 01:53 PM.
08-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, all good new on the lens front, enjoy using both your new and your old equipment again.
Thank you I'm really looking forward to getting back into photography...

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 10:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board with us.
Thank you Eaglem.....I'm glad to be here

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 10:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard! You're going to have some fun learning to use the old lenses - Manual Mode won't be any problem for you with all the film experience.
Thank you Ter-or...yes this will be a very fun adventure....I'm looking forward to learning all over again about SLR's....

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 10:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome Carynn! Any old K-mount lenses can be used without adapters, and screw mount with adapter. Like you, I took years before going to a DSLR from an SLR and I'm finding it very satisfying - especially as I can use my old glass. (And just tonight, I bought another lens secondhand, cheap, online - how good is that!
Thank you Mark for the information about the lens....I think my old Spotmatic F lens are screw mount so I guess I'll be needing an adapter...I'm sure I can find out about that in the forums. I'm really enjoying digital, instant gratification, used to have to wait forever for film to be processed back in the day. Thank you again for your kind "welcome".
08-22-2014, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Carynn Quote
Thank you Mark for the information about the lens....I think my old Spotmatic F lens are screw mount so I guess I'll be needing an adapter...I'm sure I can find out about that in the forums. I'm really enjoying digital, instant gratification, used to have to wait forever for film to be processed back in the day. Thank you again for your kind "welcome".
You're very welcome. The only thing I miss about film is that I seemed to take time setting up my shots. (Film was expensive) With digital, I tend to shoot too many shots of a subject. 23,000 shutter count so almost 12,000 per year!

08-22-2014, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
so almost 12,000 per year!
Aye but it's all about the "keeper" ratio, tell us if you dare.
08-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You're very welcome. The only thing I miss about film is that I seemed to take time setting up my shots. (Film was expensive) With digital, I tend to shoot too many shots of a subject. 23,000 shutter count so almost 12,000 per year!
I went to Europe on a Viking Cruise in July...it was awesome, btw.....and took 3,589 pictures from my point and shoot (didn't have an SLR at the time)...I'm going to Portugal for a 10 day river cruise (reason I bought the Pentax K-50) and I'm hoping to take a ton there too. I love digital, I have to say.....it's nice being able to view a picture you took and see if you need to take it again. I'm really excited to have the SLR on this trip, wish I had it on my last trip...so many of my picture didn't turn out...especially inside the churches in Germany and Austria, didn't do so good there. I'm excited and hope that my K-50 will do better than the point and shoot (won't mention the brand..it wasn't a Pentax) did on my last trip.....thank you so much for responding....have a good night
08-23-2014, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aye but it's all about the "keeper" ratio, tell us if you dare.
About 8000, I've kept! That's not to say they're all good shots though. With the kids football I sometimes keep less than perfect action shots. So, probably 1 in 5 actual keepers would be the more real ratio! Is that good or bad?
08-23-2014, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome. I grew up in NJ, but Don't live there anymore. Still, it offers a lot of great opportunities and subjects for photos. I hope to visit family there later in the year.

I think you'll like you Pentax DSLR, and once you get used to the manual settings, you'll see how rewarding it can be.

Here's a group that might interest you.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/187-nnj-photo/3374-welcome-nnj-photo.html
08-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Is that good or bad
Even 1 in 5 is a pretty good ratio.

I'm obviously doing it all wrong.
08-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even 1 in 5 is a pretty good ratio.

I'm obviously doing it all wrong.
No, I'm sure you're doing it right. Pretty sure mine's not up to your standards.
08-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Welcome. I grew up in NJ, but Don't live there anymore. Still, it offers a lot of great opportunities and subjects for photos. I hope to visit family there later in the year.

I think you'll like you Pentax DSLR, and once you get used to the manual settings, you'll see how rewarding it can be.

Here's a group that might interest you.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/187-nnj-photo/3374-welcome-nnj-photo.html
Thanks for the hello Robgski and fellow New Jerseyian. Been in NJ for the past 15 years before then lived in Louisville, Kentucky....I miss KY. There is definitely a lot to get used to with my new camera...I'm having fun learning though....thanks again for the hello

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 11:22 PM ----------

About 8000, I've kept! That's not to say they're all good shots though. With the kids football I sometimes keep less than perfect action shots. So, probably 1 in 5 actual keepers would be the more real ratio! Is that good or bad?
I was thinking if I got 3 good pictures out of my 3500 I was doing good....LOL. I think I actually got about 10 really good shots so I surpassed my expectation I think. I'm hoping to do better in Portugal....I'm shooting for 15 good shots...I'll let you know how I do Mark Jerling ...
08-26-2014, 02:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Carynn Quote
Thanks for the hello Robgski and fellow New Jerseyian. Been in NJ for the past 15 years before then lived in Louisville, Kentucky....I miss KY. There is definitely a lot to get used to with my new camera...I'm having fun learning though....thanks again for the hello

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 11:22 PM ----------

I was thinking if I got 3 good pictures out of my 3500 I was doing good....LOL. I think I actually got about 10 really good shots so I surpassed my expectation I think. I'm hoping to do better in Portugal....I'm shooting for 15 good shots...I'll let you know how I do Mark Jerling ...
I'm sure you'll do well. Maybe it's just my packrat genes and I clearly don't throw enough away!