Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from Chicago USA - Spotmatic (film) reborn?

Hi, everyone. I received a Pentax Spotmatic as a gift in 1970 as a teenager, and used it for many years, buying some additional lenses, doing darkroom work (B&W and color), up through college and afterwards. When the kids were born my usage fell off, going to point and shoot film and later digital (Canon Powershot A60). Also, my darkroom equipment has been in a box for many years - at first too difficult to find a place to set it up, and now it seems too old-fashioned to do so.

I recently bought a scanner and found I can scan-in negatives and slides that I made with my Spotmatic. I also see there is an adapter I can buy to replace the old mercury battery for my TTL meter. So now I'm thinking I might start using the Pentax again, but doing my "darkroom" work on the PC. Is anyone in this forum doing something like that?

I also recently got a nice "bridge" digital, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 18:1 megazoom 8 MP, and I have a few other old film cameras I might dust off (like a Yashica MAT 124G twin lens reflex). I decided not to get a DSLR at this point, too much money with a kid starting college, and the technology is still rapidly advancing. But maybe in a few years.

I know film pretty well, but I'm definitely a newbie in digital. However, these new tools are amazing - it is like photography re-born.

Anyway, greetings to all. By the way, the discussion software here is excellent.

05-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Welcome to the forum!

I occasionally shoot film. I gave up scanning the negatives myself (its time consuming and too hard to fight the dust) so I get the scans done by a pro lab. The quality is excellent and it is definitely a viable option. I do use DSLR most of the time though. It's "free" to take a pricure so you can try many vatiations of a shot and you get instant feedback on the exposure and composition which is hard to live without when you get used to it.
05-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

First off Welcome to the forum.
Nothing wrong with shooting film. You can have the film processed at the drugstore on just a CD or on paper and CD. CD only, is cheaper.
05-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments. When you get a CD done at a drugstore, is the image quality good? Years ago when I had some film developed at Mystic photo labs by mail and had them also send a floppy disk with digital versions, the file sizes were small and low image quality.

05-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Thanks for your comments. When you get a CD done at a drugstore, is the image quality good? Years ago when I had some film developed at Mystic photo labs by mail and had them also send a floppy disk with digital versions, the file sizes were small and low image quality.
Depending on the store, you get 1.5 to 2.5 Mb files. They are more than adequate for the web or email, problematic if you want quality larger prints. I have my film put to CD when I take them, and then pick and choose the best, if any, to scan myself.
05-15-2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Banned

I get the local photo store to develop the negatives than I scan them myself. not too much of a burden for me because I want to shoot film. only thing is a good quality scanner is a necessity. one certainly cant deny the ease of use not to mention cheaper cost per picture using digital.