Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #1

Hi from Florida..

Hello - just wanted to say HI and introduce myself before i finally start posting...
I've been lurking for a few years, i used to shoot a Super Program back in the day, and i finally decided to jump to digital other than point and shoot (which i had been doing with a string of Optios). Your posts and reviews led me to a K-30 and an assortment of inexpensive lenses. I am going to post some questions in the tech discussion with some issues i am having, but here is the collection so far:
  • A 50 1.7 - had from old days, had to fix aperture ring
  • M 135 f3.5
  • M 28 f2.8
  • super takumar 50 1.4 (just bought, waiting for adapter to try it out...)
  • F 35-70
  • DA 18-55II
  • Sigma 70-300 apo macro
  • Vivitar 100-300 f5 close focus
  • vivitar 75-205 f3.8 close focus
  • Vivitar 100-400 series 1
wow looks crazy now that i write it down! got deals on most of them, especially the old vivitars.

missed a deal on vacation last month, the HD 55-300 for $289 new in st. thomas.. seemed too good to be true, and i was really looking for a 70-200 f2.8, but i was about to pull the trigger. When i put my old vivitar 75-205 on to take the same shot and compare, the salesman asked to see it and took a few shots, then talked me out of buying the new lens and learning how to use the old one better, and proceeded to give me lessons on exposure... although his lesson was to leave it wide open and set the camera to Av mode.. i started using the not screwing the lens on all the way so it acts like a manual aperture trick and leaving it in Av and got some nice shots.

I thought i was getting back in so i could take pictures at the track, but since the time i bought the K30 last year, i have started driving in the Chumpcar world series and SCCA club races. i thought during a 14 hour race where we drive 2 hour max stints with 4 drivers, i would have time to take pictures when i was not in the car, however that has not worked out the way i thought it would. I'll keep taking the camera and see what i can do.. i also do NOT have a go-pro. might have to re think that...

anyway, that's me. guess i am still looking for a 70-200 f2.8 and when i find a good deal i will get it. tokina, tamron or older sigma. missed an older screw drive sigma last year locally, kicking myself now!

ok - i also have my old vivitar 283 and a second i bought last year. going to try and make a manual controller for it, and just ordered a light stand and diffuser. and some wireless remotes. been reading the strobist site.

So - thanks for all the posts up until now, they have helped me a lot and provided some entertainment as well! hopefully i will get to a point where i can contribute meaningfully!

Sam

08-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from the north of Florida (Panama City). The Tamron 70-200 is a treat to use...I love mine. It's a bear to carry around though. I bought mine to shoot an event with the idea of selling it afterwards as a kind of free rental. I ended up keeping it because I love it so much. You sure seem to have a collection of long lenses...You need to try something at the wide end of the spectrum. The 15mm Limited is my fave! buy it used, if you don't like it, sell it along. But, much like my Tamron, it'll never leave your side.
08-24-2014, 02:12 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by samc86 Quote
I've been lurking for a few years
Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you don't just rush into things.
08-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks!

I just got the M-28, i know it is not really wide on aps-c but i am working on going wider!
problems with some of the long glass, trying to get a post together for that too..

i'm in st. pete - just updated profile.

and about taking my time... just too many irons in the fire, and so much to read here!
i am also getting really bad about taking picture and not sharing them. and i even have my own gallery set up on my own web server.
slow, but i will get there!