Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hi

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just bought my first DSLR this morning and now have to wait 4-6 weeks ... Ahhh I am so excited. Part of what really convinced me to go the pentax way was this thread. Every time I had a question debating between kit lenses and which model, there was always useful information here so thank you . And I still have questions so any and all tips are awesome!!

Trying to decide if these are good beginner options and will last at least 5 years
Starter lens kit wide angle, telephoto, macros, filters, a bag, a card ... Link below

SLR 12 Piece Starter Package for Pentax K 30 K 50 K 500 Digital SLR Cameras | eBay

A times shutter release link v

Amazon.com : Professional Timer Remote Control Shutter Release (CS-205 Replacement) for PENTAX 645D, K3, K5, K5 II, K30, K50, K110D, K100D, K100D Super, K200D, K10D, K20D + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth : Camera & Photo

And an AA battery adapter so it lasts longer .. All the under $10 are from over seas with bad seller reviews and pentax is out so good option or eh .. V

Pentax K R 39100 AA Battery Holder Adapter D BH109 | eBay

Thank you again

08-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the club! I'm sure you'll have fun learning your new camera.
08-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome to the club! I'm sure you'll have fun learning your new camera.
Thanks .. Oh I'm already having fun. Picking out lenses now that the camera is finally in its way.
08-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, that 4-6 weeks is going to seem like forever.

08-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, that 4-6 weeks is going to seem like forever.
Oh it is!! It's only been a day .. lol don't remind me haha
08-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Does anyone have a link or know where I can get one of those shutter release cables (timer remote control cord) things that's in the US and under $30 I've only found one

Amazon.com : Professional Timer Remote Control Shutter Release (CS-205 Replacement) for PENTAX 645D, K3, K5, K5 II, K30, K50, K110D, K100D, K100D Super, K200D, K10D, K20D + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth : Camera & Photo

and I thought they generally cost less. I just want to set up continuous 15sec. Exposure for 5-6hrs for star trails. Thanks for any info.
08-28-2014, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally we use wireless remotes now, there's no real need for the cable. Even new phones like the Samsung S5 have IR transmitters, though I haven't looked for a camera remote control setup for it yet.

I do have a Vanguard pistol-grip tripod head which has a trigger in the handle and a cable output, it works great with the camera's input. I'll be using it along the river where the ballhead will be handy.

Your camera has an intervalometer, you don't need one off-body. There are some phone-based intervalometers using cables from the headphone jack, though.

08-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Generally we use wireless remotes now, there's no real need for the cable. Even new phones like the Samsung S5 have IR transmitters, though I haven't looked for a camera remote control setup for it yet.

I do have a Vanguard pistol-grip tripod head which has a trigger in the handle and a cable output, it works great with the camera's input. I'll be using it along the river where the ballhead will be handy.

Your camera has an intervalometer, you don't need one off-body. There are some phone-based intervalometers using cables from the headphone jack, though.

I have seen lots of wireless ones but I heard they drain the battery quicker that's why I was looking for one with a cord. So you're saying I can do continuous 15sec exposure for hours with the k-50 really!?! I thought it had to be in bulb mode and I wanted to avoid the battery drain.
08-28-2014, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look into the astrophotography threads to see how these guys do the long timelapses. You're moving past my direct experiences with the K5 now. This is something I want to explore myself, and I do know battery life will be tested by long use of this sort - so those threads are going to be valuable.

I don't think you have to be in bulb mode for interval shooting, though.
08-28-2014, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Don't know if I could wait that long for a camera!

QuoteOriginally posted by when-daybreaks Quote
Trying to decide if these are good beginner options and will last at least 5 years
Starter lens kit wide angle, telephoto, macros, filters, a bag, a card ... Link below
Ah, better save the money and buy quality. A decent tripod alone is going to cost more than that whole kit - and cheap tripods aren't worth the money, no matter what. Better to shoot handheld until you can get a proper one. Same goes for most things in that kit IMO.

My best advice would be to build your kit slowly (unless you have a lot of money to spend!). Buying gear without knowing exactly why you do it is not a good strategy. Yes, I speak from experience

Build some experience, do the research, then buy quality. Buying "blind", even if it looks cheap, will just end you up with stuff you don't use - either because it doesn't fit what you need, or because you buy the good stuff once you realise how bad the cheap stuff is...

That said, explore and enjoy! You don't need to have "everything" to have fun
08-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Look into the astrophotography threads to see how these guys do the long timelapses. You're moving past my direct experiences with the K5 now. This is something I want to explore myself, and I do know battery life will be tested by long use of this sort - so those threads are going to be valuable.

I don't think you have to be in bulb mode for interval shooting, though.
Okay I'll take a look over there.. Good to know.. Right I was looking into the AA battery holder but Pentax is out and the only one that seems to be similar quality on ebay is $40 and it goes into the regular battery holder it's not a grip or anything.

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Welcome to the forum! Don't know if I could wait that long for a camera!

Ah, better save the money and buy quality. A decent tripod alone is going to cost more than that whole kit - and cheap tripods aren't worth the money, no matter what. Better to shoot handheld until you can get a proper one. Same goes for most things in that kit IMO.

My best advice would be to build your kit slowly (unless you have a lot of money to spend!). Buying gear without knowing exactly why you do it is not a good strategy. Yes, I speak from experience

Build some experience, do the research, then buy quality. Buying "blind", even if it looks cheap, will just end you up with stuff you don't use - either because it doesn't fit what you need, or because you buy the good stuff once you realise how bad the cheap stuff is...

That said, explore and enjoy! You don't need to have "everything" to have fun
Ah yeah I didn't really have a choice. There isn't a store near me and I got custom colors!! Silver with a pink grip. Right I have been doing a LOT of research I've been looking into cameras and equipments for months! I have a few weeks before I get my camera so I have some more time but I want to get started right away. I've waited years (every since I got my point and shoot and saw how limted it was) to buy a decent camera so I'm just rearing to go lol but I know I don't know nearly enough yet. So thanks I will stay away from the cheapo kits and slowly build my supplies.. Angonizingly slowly .. :T
08-28-2014, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember the Marketplace here lets you keep track of several keywords. For instance, if you want to figure out what used DA100mm macro lenses go for you could input 100mm and a bunch of 100mm lenses will come up, but you'll see the macro lenses. You'll get email notifications, which doesn't help the LBA!
08-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Remember the Marketplace here lets you keep track of several keywords. For instance, if you want to figure out what used DA100mm macro lenses go for you could input 100mm and a bunch of 100mm lenses will come up, but you'll see the macro lenses. You'll get email notifications, which doesn't help the LBA!
Okay well that is cool thanks.

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 12:07 PM ----------

Okay well that is cool. Thanks
08-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, best to stick to quality, not quantity.

Don't go splurging money on lenses and filters. Stick with the kit lens for a couple of months, and then get one of the plastic fantastics (da 50 f1.8, or da 35mm f2.4).

Alternatively, the da35 f2.8 macro limited, is an extremely good all round lens if you want to play around with macro as well (a good 2nd hand copy is probably fine). If I could only have one lens, it would be that one!

A decent circular polariser is a worthwhile purchase now, but that would be about it IMHO.
08-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Yeah, best to stick to quality, not quantity.

Don't go splurging money on lenses and filters. Stick with the kit lens for a couple of months, and then get one of the plastic fantastics (da 50 f1.8, or da 35mm f2.4).

Alternatively, the da35 f2.8 macro limited, is an extremely good all round lens if you want to play around with macro as well (a good 2nd hand copy is probably fine). If I could only have one lens, it would be that one!

A decent circular polariser is a worthwhile purchase now, but that would be about it IMHO.
okay thanks for the tip. I'm looking at a pentax 42m 28mm 3.5 ..oldie but goodie?

---------- Post added 08-28-14 at 01:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by when-daybreaks Quote
okay thanks for the tip. I'm looking at a pentax 42m 28mm 3.5 ..oldie but goodie?
I don't plan on going spurge happy just want at least one lens that I can try out star trails with. Like maybe the one mentioned about 10-20 or the 28 prime