Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Another Floridian here

Years ago i owned a K-1000 and loved that camera. After having children, working, and not enough time, my mother passed down one of her minolta auto focus cameras. Since she was in to photography, i parted with my k-1000 and regretted it since. That was a good camera. I had a few canons since then, both ok, nothing great, although my sx 230 hs is small enough and has done pretty good at concerts.

Now the boys are all grown up, i have more time and am itching to get back into photography but this time i would llike to learn my camera, instead of just clicking. One eve, when on slick deals, i came across a thread about a particular pentax camera with some very good reviews and some avid pentax fans. I haven't been searching but i really did not know that pentax cameras were still being made but i guess after reading that thread, it got me excited to get back to pentax and i found you all while googling pentax reviews..

Anyways, i am looking for a dslr, and being a typical woman, looking for a sale.

Thought i would stop lurking, pop in and say hey. The site looks very informative and I expect to learn alot.

08-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy it all.
08-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hello from another Floridian How much money do you plan to spend for the camera?
08-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Hello from another Floridian How much money do you plan to spend for the camera?
I am thinking of somewhere around $500 range. Any suggestions?

08-28-2014, 04:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, mamawarrior ... Hope too see some images soon ... Salut, J
08-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check the Marketplace here - $500 will get you a camera and lens a couple generations old. I'd look for a K-5 with kit lens as a start. You can also look on Craigslist, sometimes you find someone who just wants to get rid of some gear.

I've seen Kr with 2-lens kits going for about $300, and even occasionally the "stormtrooper white" Kr kits which admittedly look very cool.
A K30 would be the natural starting point, but it depends on how technical you want to be.
08-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Check the Marketplace here - $500 will get you a camera and lens a couple generations old. I'd look for a K-5 with kit lens as a start. You can also look on Craigslist, sometimes you find someone who just wants to get rid of some gear.

I've seen Kr with 2-lens kits going for about $300, and even occasionally the "stormtrooper white" Kr kits which admittedly look very cool.
A K30 would be the natural starting point, but it depends on how technical you want to be.
I appreciate the suggestions and have actually looked a bit at the K-5 ii and the K-50. I guess its because that is what is available at the bigger stores. I suppose the marketplace is pretty safe, but to be quite honest, i am a little skeptical about buying used at this point. Maybe because i am so new.

08-29-2014, 05:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamawarrior Quote
I appreciate the suggestions and have actually looked a bit at the K-5 ii and the K-50. I guess its because that is what is available at the bigger stores. I suppose the marketplace is pretty safe, but to be quite honest, i am a little skeptical about buying used at this point. Maybe because i am so new.
I'd trust the marketplace here more than ebay. My first camera was used via Craigslist, so I got to talk to the person. Most of the time the camera has been seeing less use than planned or has been replaced by a newer unit. All but a couple of my lenses have been purchased used, and I've never had a problem. As always, get an agreement that if the lens is de-centered or doesn't work properly you have a week or so to figure that out and return.

Plenty of people are selling their K5s and buying K3s or selling Kr or K30 units for the K50. I'd always recommend buying used, and finding out how heavily used the gear is. My K5 has a fair amount of paint worn off, it's been carried everywhere and looks like a grizzled veteran, but that gives it character - it still performs flawlessly.
08-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for your input, it has given me much to think about and i have been peeking in on the marketplace to see what is available and how it works. I also went out and checked out a k-50 just to get the feel of it in my hands. Sadly i have not found many places around me that seem to carry pentax, just to browse and compare. And what i did find only had the k-50. I am not set in stone on a k -50, the mirror type issues on the k 50 forum concerns me. I do like what i have read about the k 5, have seen a few on the market place than are tempting, and maybe a used one will be the way to go, or maybe something will come available during the holidays in the pricepoint i feel comfortable with and provide me with the security of a warranty.

Again, thank your for taking the time to post
08-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I bought all my Pentax DSLRs used and all my lenses but one. All the cameras were in like new condition. And I trust Pentax Forums Marketplace more than I would ever trust eBay. BTW, I'm a Florida Cracker.
09-12-2014, 03:32 AM   #11

Original Poster
Just wanted to follow up and let you all know that i did take your advice, visited the marketplace and purchased not only a K-5ii which arrived yesterday (very nice looking) but a set of SMC DA 18-55 and DAL 50-200 lens to start out with, as well.

Waiting the lens arrival and anxious to try it out. And i am sure i will have lots of questions.

Thank you all for your welcome to the forum and your input.
09-12-2014, 04:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Howdy from Polk County, and welcome!
09-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mamawarrior Quote
Just wanted to follow up and let you all know that i did take your advice, visited the marketplace and purchased not only a K-5ii which arrived yesterday (very nice looking) but a set of SMC DA 18-55 and DAL 50-200 lens to start out with, as well.
I think you managed your budget very well, good choice. Congrats!