Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Newbie Armature, Newbie to Pentax

Hello! I am a newbie armature just learning photography with a DLSR in my hands since this last Christmas...

I have been learning off from a Nikon D60 and was looking to upgrade my camera.. Just learned about these Pentax cameras and spent 2 hrs at my local camera shop holding one in my hands playing with the SD Card in play with all of the lenses I will be using..
My main photopgrahy goals is nature, weather,landscape, macro and wildlife.. I am wanting to get into Surrealism and different kind of shooting areas as well.. out of the norm of whatever everyone else is doing..

I tried the Pentax k-5 II and really liked the ease of use for it and how it fit perfectly into my hands... then I put the K-50 in my hands I knew this was my upgrade camera!! That will be the camera I will upgrade to next def. for sure no questions hands down, done deal!

I was so excited about this because I spent the last 6 months intensely reviewing Nikon D7100 and the Canon 70D and I thought that is what I wanted.. I just did not know until I put them in my hands last week and hated how it fit in my hands and the use of it..granted they are wonderful cameras, but I want simplicity and ease..

I will be lurking and learning and I wanted to jump in and join for the forums and say hello, so I will be asking stupid questions in the mean time to get a glimpse of what I will be getting into.. I am sure 2 hrs was not enough time, but it was enough time to make a decision for what I wanted.. I really want to get better acquainted with my new upcoming camera by these forums, learn what kind of pictures they take, how to take them and all that fun jazz..

Hopefully, by Christmas or sooner, I will have a new camera in my hands..

Come to say I fell IN LOVE with the K-50.. and it will do everything I need it to do and half of the prices of Nikon/Canon..
My favorite lenses to use are the 18-200, a macro lens and my telephotos to shoot eagles 70-300.. I tried the weather proof lens 55-300 and LOVED IT!!!
That makes me more excited yet..
I normally shoot in manual mode 80% of the time.

This picture was one that I took while we were on vacation last week when we saw some wild mustangs

08-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! You certainly have a good choice in cameras! The K-50 is a powerful machine (and for a PHENOMENAL price). My recommendation is you pair it with the DA 18-135 WR kit lens for the best bang for your buck not only price-wise (savings on the lens if bought as a bundle), but it's a fantastic walk-around lens. If you are curious, an in-depth 15-page review was just completed on the 18-135 WR, as well as how it compares to the standard 18-55 kit lens and a higher grade 17-70 from Sigma (3rd party lens maker). Click here for that review.

For the next lens, I would recommend the DA 50mm F1.8 - a great prime lens that will certainly compliment the 18-135 (although sadly the 50mm isn't weather sealed). I think those two lenses would be a great start. Another strong recommendation would be a good tripod, and my vote goes for the Sirui T-025x tripod. That link is another in-depth review conducted by Pentax Forums that you should find of benefit. I have been using that tripod for quite some time now and I really do suggest it.

For any specific K-50 camera questions (or curiosity), there's a K-50 subforum here that is dedicated only to it.

Lastly, since you said up front that you are new to using a DSLR, this post may be of assistance to you: True Beginners - READ THIS / START HERE!

Again, welcome!

-Heie

P.S...

QuoteOriginally posted by jgirl57 Quote
...spent 2 hrs at my local camera shop holding in my hands...i tried the pentax k-5 ii and really liked the ease of use for it and how it fit perfectly into my hands... Then i put the k-50 in my hands i knew this was my upgrade camera!! That will be the camera i will upgrade to next def. For sure no questions hands down, done deal!
Name:  53884973.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  128.3 KB

Last edited by Heie; 08-29-2014 at 01:11 PM.
08-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will not regret Pentax brand choice.
08-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you so much!

yes, I will be planning on buying the 18-135 and not even messing with the 18-55..

I will def. be checking into the different links you gave me as well thank you for that!

08-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I'm also a newbie amateur, glad I'm not the only one . Great introduction, I also like the look and feel of Pentax' camera's. Since you're into macro and you might be on a tight budget like me, I highly recommend looking into the Pentax-M 100M f4 Macro lens, It's super sharp and sells for around 90-100 euro's (thats 120-130 dollars). Pentax allows you to use manual lenses that are often very cost effective secondhand and often times they've got very decent build quality.
08-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, jgirl57 ... Hope to see some images soon. Salut, J