Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #1

Hello from Miami My name is Ana Maria

Hello everyone!
I wanted to join in order to gain knowledge on my Pentax P3n from you out there the "experts". No disrespect. I want to know if this Pentax is a completely manual SLR 35 mm camera? The reason is also I am taking an Intro to Photography class black and white only. The Professor only allows fully manual. ( he has a Canon AE-1). Any thoughts ??
Thanks,
Ana Maria

08-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I think you can consider a pentax k1000, it is a classic student's camera, all manual, cheap and easy to find.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-manual-focus-film-slrs-c12.html

Last edited by blacklens; 08-30-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: add some information
08-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Hello" back atcha from a former Maimian. My parents brought me home from Hialeah to live in "Little Havana" in 1963.

This is the place to get Pentax answers and the one above this is a good one. The K1000 is a classic manual student camera. I would go so far as to say "the" classic student camera. I understand they were a bit overpriced several years ago but you should be able to find one pretty cheap these days. Try KEH camera and look for BNG samples. The K1000 with a 50mm, f1.7 lens is the classic combo.

This is your camera: Pentax P3N/P30N - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

This is the K1000: Pentax K1000 - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Developing your first roll of B&W film is gonna awesome.
08-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K1000, KM, KX, or MX, are the best bet.

If you want something cheaper then the ME super (ignore the non super variants), or program A / super program. (ME super is nicer though imo).

There are a few autofocus bodies that would be ok (z-20, z-50, z-70, sfx, mz-6, mz-7, z1-p). They won't win any awards for styling though...

In all cases you want a pentax-m 50mm f1.7 or pentax-k 55mm f1.8 lens to go with the camera. It's also worth asking about the condition of the light seals on the camera prior to purchase.

If you want something ridiculous, a pentax 645 + 75mm f2.8 lens + 120 film back. Overkill for a beginner maybe, and will cost a lot more (only 15 shots on a roll of 120). The larger negative size does however mean you get very nice scans from home developed negatives.

I'd also recommend picking up a red filter (high contrast shots), and yellow/green filter (for portraits). The exact size you need will depend on which lens you get (49mm for most pentax prime lenses).

08-31-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ana Maria Quote
from you out there the "experts"
Welcome to the forum, I guess that rules me out then, I'll just sit quietly in the corner.
08-31-2014, 04:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
"Hello" back atcha from a former Maimian. My parents brought me home from Hialeah to live in "Little Havana" in 1963.

This is the place to get Pentax answers and the one above this is a good one. The K1000 is a classic manual student camera. I would go so far as to say "the" classic student camera. I understand they were a bit overpriced several years ago but you should be able to find one pretty cheap these days. Try KEH camera and look for BNG samples. The K1000 with a 50mm, f1.7 lens is the classic combo.

This is your camera: Pentax P3N/P30N - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

This is the K1000: Pentax K1000 - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Thank you my former neighbor!
08-31-2014, 04:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, I guess that rules me out then, I'll just sit quietly in the corner.
Very funny. Ya never stop learning!

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 07:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
K1000, KM, KX, or MX, are the best bet.

If you want something cheaper then the ME super (ignore the non super variants), or program A / super program. (ME super is nicer though imo).

There are a few autofocus bodies that would be ok (z-20, z-50, z-70, sfx, mz-6, mz-7, z1-p). They won't win any awards for styling though...

In all cases you want a pentax-m 50mm f1.7 or pentax-k 55mm f1.8 lens to go with the camera. It's also worth asking about the condition of the light seals on the camera prior to purchase.

If you want something ridiculous, a pentax 645 + 75mm f2.8 lens + 120 film back. Overkill for a beginner maybe, and will cost a lot more (only 15 shots on a roll of 120). The larger negative size does however mean you get very nice scans from home developed negatives.

I'd also recommend picking up a red filter (high contrast shots), and yellow/green filter (for portraits). The exact size you need will depend on which lens you get (49mm for most pentax prime lenses).
You are awesome and I will rake your advice RTB!!!

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 07:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote

Yessir, I am looking forward to doing so!

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 07:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blacklens Quote
I think you can consider a pentax k1000, it is a classic student's camera, all manual, cheap and easy to find.

Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Thank you for taking the time to help me decipher. Photography is all new to me, therefore as a beginner I appreciate your comment.

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 08:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blacklens Quote

Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Thanks my new friend I will take that advice!
08-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Ana Maria ... Hope to see some images soon. Salut, J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 08-31-2014 at 09:35 AM.
09-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Ana Maria ... Hope to see some images soon. Salut, J
Saludos from Miami Jean. Merci!
09-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I recommend either the K1000 SE or ME Super. Both excellent fully manual cameras with split image screen!
09-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #11

going b&w and fully manual is a good idea. it will be harder at first but will pay off in the long run
09-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you! I have confirmed the DX issue. Learned how to clean my camera, and as soon as I receive the Canon AE1 I am shooting away the rolls of film.
Ana

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 02:28 PM ----------

Hello Alcazar, that is basically how I feel.
How is Stuttgart? I hear a lot of great things about it. And I know the economy is doing very well!
Thanks.
Ana
09-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ana Maria Quote
Very funny. Ya never stop learning!
Unfortunately I'm now at the age where "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"

If you can... I can't remember you did shortly afterwards.