Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

Hello from Tempe, Arizona

Hello all,

My name is Dilip, and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new K-5 IIs. I look forward to spending more time on this forum, gaining insight and tips.

That being said, I've only ordered the body. Which lens would be most ideal to start with?

Thanks!

Dilip

09-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

search for "best lens" in forums and read through the 5,345 threads. you should find your 5,345 answers within them....
09-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Evening and Welcome to the Forum,

As nomadkng posted, there is really no "best" lens. There are suggestions for lenses that would work better for the area and type of photography that you are interested in. What is "best" for me, may not - and is probably not "best" for you. You have acquired an extremely capable body, that has few limitations.

What kind of photography are you interested in - landscape, cityscapes, architecture, street, portraits, people, cars,airplanes, birds, animals, family, night, astro, bugs/insects, flowers, panoramas, etc. - the list is endless? Also, a hint at your budget would also help.

I'm going to take a flyer and guess that you might respond with a little bit of everything. If so, folks would probably suggest the kit lenses 18-55 and 50-200 or 55-300, that would cover a wide range of everything - wide angle to telephoto. The Forum has a marketplace - where you might be able to pick them up at a good price, use them until you really determine what lenses really interest you.

09-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Good Evening and Welcome to the Forum,

As nomadkng posted, there is really no "best" lens. There are suggestions for lenses that would work better for the area and type of photography that you are interested in. What is "best" for me, may not - and is probably not "best" for you. You have acquired an extremely capable body, that has few limitations.

What kind of photography are you interested in - landscape, cityscapes, architecture, street, portraits, people, cars,airplanes, birds, animals, family, night, astro, bugs/insects, flowers, panoramas, etc. - the list is endless? Also, a hint at your budget would also help.

I'm going to take a flyer and guess that you might respond with a little bit of everything. If so, folks would probably suggest the kit lenses 18-55 and 50-200 or 55-300, that would cover a wide range of everything - wide angle to telephoto. The Forum has a marketplace - where you might be able to pick them up at a good price, use them until you really determine what lenses really interest you.

Thank you, I.O. I just ordered the 18-135 WR. Seems versatile enough. God it's pricey though, at about 300 bucks. I like to hike and backpack, and the weather resistance is useful to me. That was the reason to get a lens with similar sealing. By the way I'm a beginner, and my current piece is a Canon S110, which is remarkable in it's own right.

I'm dreading the seemingly imminent onset of LBA :-[

09-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #5

Welcome from across town. So many lenes to choose from, makes it difficult. Getting the WR sounds like a good idea.
09-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dilip Quote
Thank you, I.O. I just ordered the 18-135 WR. Seems versatile enough. God it's pricey though, at about 300 bucks. I like to hike and backpack, and the weather resistance is useful to me. That was the reason to get a lens with similar sealing. By the way I'm a beginner, and my current piece is a Canon S110, which is remarkable in it's own right.

I'm dreading the seemingly imminent onset of LBA :-[
There are times I think if all I had was the 18-135, I'd be quite happy... but the 35 2.4 and 50 1.8 are no brainers as a compliment. For what you do the 18-135 is perfect. I'm sure you've seen the favourite thread of all us outdoorsy types.....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-1...at-can-do.html

Hope you start contributing soon,
09-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dilip Quote
Which lens would be most ideal to start with?
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that camera when she arrives and in answer to the question... all of them.

09-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are times I think if all I had was the 18-135, I'd be quite happy... but the 35 2.4 and 50 1.8 are no brainers as a compliment. For what you do the 18-135 is perfect. I'm sure you've seen the favourite thread of all us outdoorsy types.....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-1...at-can-do.html

Hope you start contributing soon,
I certainly will. I cancelled the 18-135 order, and instead bought 18-55 and 50 mm 1.8, two lenses for the price of one basically. Just got the camera today. I'm already considering replacing the 18-55 with a 18-135!

Used to live in Scarborough, and boy do I miss Ontario sometimes. No Timmy's double double down here :-[
09-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that camera when she arrives and in answer to the question... all of them.
I fully intend to! Lens Fund kickstarter is being contemplated as I type.

---------- Post added 09-06-14 at 12:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aztecheye Quote
Welcome from across town. So many lenes to choose from, makes it difficult. Getting the WR sounds like a good idea.
Thank you. I'm game if you ever want to meet and go walkabout.
09-06-2014, 02:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

09-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #11

What do you like to shoot? Lots available in AZ. We've had some Pentaxians meet a few years ago. I went to Papago Park & Boyce Thompson Arboretum. My e-mail is aztecheye@mac.com
09-24-2014, 05:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can always start a Go Fund Me campaign,

I like the 18-135, but use the 18-55 for a little while, see what it can do for you. You might decide, being outdoors a lot, you want the 55-300 first. Keep an eye on Craigslist for people selling old Pentax gear. It's a total crapshoot, but if you don't keep an eye open you might miss something good. BTW, the Promaster lenses tend to be pretty darn good, and cheap. They're not built like Pentax lenses, but you don't expect it for the price.

Most important, have fun!

I have a buddy in Scottsdale, he goes into the mountains frequently - I'd like to get out there for a visit.
09-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from a neighbor in Gilbert! I'm waiting on my K-50 but even when it gets here it goes on the shelf until my Birthday in November. :/ In the meantime I have a couple of film cameras that I'll be playing with. Good luck and have fun!