Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxgirl86 Quote
I'm not in Minnesota? I live in Wisconsin and thank goodness there is NO SNOW yet! Although it is supposed to get down to 40 degrees tonight brrrr. My husband is a major research nut, I usually tell him what I want and then he does all the leg work I do like the sharpness of the primes but I haven't specialized in one thing yet so it's hard to settle for a prime. I wish the 55-300 went lower than f4, that is a little disappointing but I'm sure if it did then I wouldn't be able to afford it! I have been lusting after that 100mm macro lens too... Some day....

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 08:48 AM ----------

In that case... I have got all 3 too I keep saying after I buy this lens I'll be good for a while, then its this one, then this one..... Yes I totally have a problem
Tell your husband to research the Tamron 90 macro..... I have my DA*60-250 that with tax and filters cost me darn close to 2K, and it only goes to ƒ4, but it's a constant ƒ4. Part of the reason I want the next telephoto to be ƒ2.8. The 200 2.8 with the 1.4 TC and 1.7 TC, would be an excellent package, relatively light and easy to carry. If the IQ with the TC is close to the DA*300 I'd go for that in a heart beat. But, I haven't seen any real comparisons yet.

09-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep an eye on the Marketplace, add a keyword 100mm and one for 90mm and keep an eye on the prices. The FA and DA 100s tend to be around $300+ which is a pretty good bargain for the quality. I think my FA100 2.8 was the second or third lens I bought, because insect macro was something I very much wanted to pursue.

That said, the 18-135 is pretty good at 100, and will probably get you up and running with insects.
09-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
If you are looking for ("starter") primes, check out the DA 35/2.4 and the DA 50/1.8 ... both called the "Plastic Fantastics" for good reason and excellent bang for the buck (value/performance/price ratio in my books). The 35 shoots like a 50 on APS-C and the DA 50 @ 75mm on APS-C is super for (low light) portraits.

Plus both are "Full Frame" capable lens which means they are good on certain film SLRs ... and that future mythical FF DSLR ... if it ever sees the light of day .
I do have a 50/1.8 and love it, especially for my detail shots. I wouldn't mind getting a prime with a longer focal length and either a 1.8 or 2.0. I haven't checked yet if pentax makes such a thing

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 12:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tell your husband to research the Tamron 90 macro..... I have my DA*60-250 that with tax and filters cost me darn close to 2K, and it only goes to 4, but it's a constant 4. Part of the reason I want the next telephoto to be 2.8. The 200 2.8 with the 1.4 TC and 1.7 TC, would be an excellent package, relatively light and easy to carry. If the IQ with the TC is close to the DA*300 I'd go for that in a heart beat. But, I haven't seen any real comparisons yet.
The 60-250 "drool" I have heard so many good things about that lens, it was on sale for a few days there but still not in the budget yet

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Keep an eye on the Marketplace, add a keyword 100mm and one for 90mm and keep an eye on the prices. The FA and DA 100s tend to be around $300+ which is a pretty good bargain for the quality. I think my FA100 2.8 was the second or third lens I bought, because insect macro was something I very much wanted to pursue.

That said, the 18-135 is pretty good at 100, and will probably get you up and running with insects.
I will definitely keep my eye on the market place, I will have to wait a little while before investing in another lens but I would like to keep my eyes open. I also didn't know that the 18-135 served as an ok macro
09-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #34
Pentaxian

It focuses pretty close, but not really a macro, but it does a lot of what I use my macro for... but it wouldn't be much use for insects..
Slideshow, click here.

I even got an insect in this one...

You do have to walk it in until you hit the closest focus point and then back up a bit, so this one is probably the most magnification you could get.

Last edited by normhead; 09-12-2014 at 10:24 AM.
09-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It focuses pretty close, but not really a macro, but it does a lot of what I use my macro for... but it wouldn't be much use for insects..
Slideshow, click here.

I even got an insect in this one...

You do have to walk it in until you hit the closest focus point and then back up a bit, so this one is probably the most magnification you could get.
That is a great shot! Not to shabby for not being a macro, perhaps it will eventually replace my 18-55 kit lens