Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #1

Greetings!

Hey everyone,

I'm Ellen... a junior History/Peace Studies student at Manchester College in Indiana. As a reward for getting through the year (my first final is in about 6 hours...), I've decided to buy myself a Pentax K1000, a camera I've been admiring for a number of years, and to make my summer project to learn about the technical aspect of photography. I currently have a digital medium-end-at-its-time Canon point and shoot I got as a gift about three years ago and have taken some decent "artistic" shots with that, but I'm looking to upgrade. :-D

Right now I'm anxiously waiting for an eBay auction to close... if I'm lucky, I'll get a camera, flash, and five lenses for a reasonable price. I'm not positive, but I think it's from the Made-in-Japan era.

I'm looking forward to learning about photography... and hopefully taking some good shots over the summer.

05-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
krs
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.

Hmmm - if you buy yourself a k1000 for finishing your junior year, then what sort of camera will you buy yourself when you graduate?
05-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
A MacBook Pro. ;-) Or something I can't get with a flash, 2 lenses, bag, and a few random other things on eBay for $69.
05-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Well, you gotta let us know if you won!

Welcome. you are sure to learn lots, not only about Pentax, but about good shooting.

05-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
Well, you gotta let us know if you won!
Although I didn't win the one that I was talking about in the post, I finally managed to win one today! For $69+shipping, I got a Pentax K1000 body, the original lens, a not-that-great-but-fine-for-me zoom lens, the brand and such of which I can't remember right now, a neck strap, and an old-school Pentax camera bag. Oh, and some film. It should be here Friday or Saturday... I am quite antsy about it. I can't wait to learn about f-stop and exposure and things!
05-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The next purchase (or library read) is a book called Understanding Exposure. I have gone thru sections and it is quite valuable in, well, understanding exposure. It will be recommended many times in your reads here. The good thing is, no matter which brand you choose, film or digital, it will apply. Oh, and get out and shoot!

Last edited by sabarrett; 05-14-2008 at 04:41 AM. Reason: forgot
05-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome Ellen