Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #1

Hello from Tennessee

Hi everyone. I've been lurking and reading (and learning) for a while now so I thought I'd go ahead and join.

A little bit about myself... I got serious into photography in my highschool photography class (late 80's) that I took the three years I was there. I was very fortunate as our school had a great photography program and I got spoiled with having a darkroom at my disposal 5 days a week. My mom gave me her Pentax K-1000 to use and she upgraded to the Pentax Program Plus. I still have both of these cameras and that's part of what brought me to this site.

I got back into photography a few years ago after the birth of my children since I now had some awesome subjects to capture. I picked up a Canon T3i and have enjoyed it. I also got Lightroom 5 and it's amazing what can be done these days with RAW images and software.

However, I've started getting the hankering to shoot film again. So I pulled out the K-1000 and Program Plus and loaded them both up with film. Wow, what a great feeling those old cameras have in the hand... and the sound of the shutter... just really pleasing to the ear.

And now (because I just can't leave well enough alone) I'm looking at getting into medium format film photography and have narrowed my choices down to the Pentax 645n or Pentax 67 (or 6x7MLU). And there's the other reason I've become a member of this site... to learn all I can about these two cameras before pulling the trigger on one of these set ups.

I probably won't post much since any questions I may have have almost certainly been asked before and I'll just use the search button. But if I find something that hasn't been asked or on the outside chance that I may have something to add, I'll be sure to do so.

Thanks to all those that have posted a wealth of information already!

Scott

09-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, remember once you get your large format bad boys, please do post some images from them.
09-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Scott and welcome to the Forums. No need to wait for the big boys to post your work
09-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcomes. I'll be sure to post some of my stuff as soon as I get my current rolls of 35mm finished and developed. In the Program Plus is some Kodak Tri-x that expired in the late 80's. just found the roll in an old camera bag so there's no telling what will come out of it. I have no idea what film is in the K-1000. It was in my moms possession last so whatever film she was shooting is in there. I have a feeling it's
Kodak Gold. But we'll see as soon as I finish the roll.
Those are my first two rolls of film I've shot in years. Looking forward to seeing the results myself.

I bought some fresh Ektar and Tri-X to try next.

Thanks.

09-11-2014, 03:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Scott ... Hope to see some images soon! Salut, J
09-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. I decided to go into Medium format film as well... I bought a Pentax 645, then both the local film processors shut down, and I have no place to take my film.
09-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Scott ... Hope to see some images soon! Salut, J
Thanks Jean. I'm planning on finishing my rolls of film this weekend and then it's off the lab. Maybe I'll post some of my old pentax photos from way back when if I can get them scanned in.

---------- Post added 09-11-14 at 07:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Welcome to the forum. I decided to go into Medium format film as well... I bought a Pentax 645, then both the local film processors shut down, and I have no place to take my film.
I'm leaning towards the 645 myself. I think a lot of us film shooters are in the same boat. There are a couple of places in Nashville that still develop film, including 120, but that's a bit of a drive for me. Might still be worth doing that instead of sending it off. I do like supporting the local shops/services; especially now days since they are becoming scarcer.

09-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard.
Keep an eye on Craigslist in your town and wherever you have friends. I see 645 and 6X7 format cameras pop up now and then. Not cheap, mind you - people know what the have for the most part. Film and development? Well, you can also get home development gear pretty cheap now on CL - black and white can't be too bad for cost to develop at home. But film processing has become expensive for sure.

I grew up using my Dad's full-manual Minolta in the early 80s, it was so easy...

If you get one of the former Pentax flagship bodies and install a split-focus screen, you'll find they're very well set up for full manual control. Manual lenses aren't hard to find (except the wide-angle ones).
09-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard.
Keep an eye on Craigslist in your town and wherever you have friends. I see 645 and 6X7 format cameras pop up now and then. Not cheap, mind you - people know what the have for the most part. Film and development? Well, you can also get home development gear pretty cheap now on CL - black and white can't be too bad for cost to develop at home. But film processing has become expensive for sure.

I grew up using my Dad's full-manual Minolta in the early 80s, it was so easy...

If you get one of the former Pentax flagship bodies and install a split-focus screen, you'll find they're very well set up for full manual control. Manual lenses aren't hard to find (except the wide-angle ones).
Thanks for the reminder about CL. I'll check there too. I've been looking at eBay (and there's plenty there) but just don't know about buying an older camera from there.

I have been toying with the idea of developing my own B&W film. It's not hard and the cost seems reasonable but it'll have to be something for down the road. I need another hobby like I need another hole in my head.

My Pentax Program Plus has the split screen and it's really nice. Wish my K-1000 had it too. I wonder how much it would cost to add that and if its something I could do myself. I'll look into that.
09-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which side of Nashville are you? There is a place here that processes film .
09-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flyflickr Quote
My Pentax Program Plus has the split screen and it's really nice. Wish my K-1000 had it too. I wonder how much it would cost to add that and if its something I could do myself. I'll look into that.
It's not hard - there are plenty of threads here about it. I put one in my K10, and it worked well. I haven't done so with my K5, I find it pretty easy to focus manually if there's enough light.
09-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Which side of Nashville are you? There is a place here that processes film .
Patrick,
I'm actually in Murfreesboro ( I see you are too - cool). I found a place "The Photo Lab" on Lytle street but their website said they are closed until further notice. Do you know of another one beside Walgreens? I'm not even sure they still do it.

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 11:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
It's not hard - there are plenty of threads here about it. I put one in my K10, and it worked well. I haven't done so with my K5, I find it pretty easy to focus manually if there's enough light.
Thanks Terry. I'll do a search on there for that. I sure do focus faster with the split screen and when taking pics of my kids I NEED fast focus. They don't stay still or anything!
09-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sometimes split screen has a negative effect on center point AF focus.. maybe metering..?
. So, I have heard. I figure you will run across comments in your search.
. Not being negative, just a thing to keep an eye out for when reading and deciding.
09-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flyflickr Quote
'm actually in Murfreesboro ( I see you are too - cool). I found a place "The Photo Lab" on Lytle street but their website said they are closed until further notice. Do you know of another one beside Walgreens? I'm not even sure they still do it.
That is it. He is a shooting buddy of mine. He has moved it to his house for the time being. Getting things set back up.
We are hoping to get out in the morning and do some shooting. You are invited along if you like . You can PM me and I will contact you or give you my phone # if you asre interested.
09-12-2014, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting thread. Good luck with MF and Pentax--great choice that I have considered. I'm from Nashville, and it is good to see some postings from nearby. Pentax digital is a great choice if you have older lenses, too. I started with Pentax 35mm, and now have a very nice setup in digital. I also still have amazing film bodies--LX, MX, MZ-s, MZ-5n, Spotty II. Murfreesboro is a great town, lots of history.
David