Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #1

Hello from Germany

Hi everyone

Wuschti here I'm a 28 year old Pentax user from Mannheim. I've been an ambitious iPhone 5S photographer but in July 2014, I switched to SLRs for the more professional stuff... and more pixels Feeling very happy with my Pentax, although Germany is one of those Canikon "dominated" countries... like the rest of the world.
I have a K5-II with a Sigma 17-70 lens a s well as a DA 50mm 1.8 which I mainly use for portraits.

Oh, and... my english -> still improving

cheers

wuschti

09-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums and hello from Munich!

As anyone here will certify you made the absolutely right choice by going for Pentax. Until Apple releases its own SLR iPhone, that is.
Enjoy your stay, there's loads of information and help to be found here. And many, many temptations.
09-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hey,
Thank you

Yeah, I mean... as an amateur... you'll get a reliable, weather sealed cam with 100% VF for at least 200 bucks less than comparable Canon / Nikon models. But since Ricoh doesn't spent a lot of money into their PR department not many peole will know about this
09-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, that's a great starting kit.

I personally find for an "enthusiast" user, the Pentax system has a lot of attraction. We have some unique lenses and the ability to easily use manual glass.

09-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome, that's a great starting kit.

I personally find for an "enthusiast" user, the Pentax system has a lot of attraction. We have some unique lenses and the ability to easily use manual glass.
Totally. I'm very happy and satisfied with my gear. Unfortunately none of my lenses are WR, so at the moment I cannot demonstrate the benefits of having a mid-tier weather sealed Pentax Unless I go ahead shooting body-only...

Oh and yes, I've purchased an old Revuenon 50mm 1.9... hard to handle (all manual), but it produces very smooth portraits... haha hard to describe
09-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in that situation for a while, like 3 years without a WR lens. Then the prices for used DA 18-135WR came down to around $300 and I got one. For 90% of the time, it's not really required, but it can make the difference in your decision whether to bring the camera if there's a threat of rain. It's a nice walkaround lens, but overlaps your Sigma.

Go have some fun!
09-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by wuschti Quote
Yeah, I mean... as an amateur... you'll get a reliable, weather sealed cam with 100% VF for at least 200 bucks less than comparable Canon / Nikon models. But since Ricoh doesn't spent a lot of money into their PR department not many peole will know about this
To me it was a bit of an accident to end up with Pentax. But a lucky one. And it's not just the camera bodies you save money on but, more importantly, lenses as well.
The 50mm f1.8 was my first prime lens, too, and it is a great piece of glass and plastic for a very nice price.

09-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, enjoy both the forum and your photography.
09-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, wuschti ... Hope to see some K-5ii images soon. Salut, J