Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2014, 04:58 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The M 50mm f/1.7 it generally regarded as a better lens than the f/2.0 model.. so if you can find that one, might be a better option.

Outside of that, the DA 50mm f/1.8 is even nicer (imo) if you are also looking for autofocus and have a larger budget from the M.
Thank you mee you've had me sifting through lenses all weekend! I think I'm going to go for either the DA 50mm f/1.8 or an older f1.4.

SMC PENTAX M 50MM F1.4 PENTAX PK MOUNT FAST PRIME LENS VERY GOOD CONDITION | eBay

They seem to be in the same price bracket, what do you think?

Ref: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/198274-fa-5...mm-f1-8-a.html

---------- Post added 09-15-14 at 05:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Anticles ... Hope to see some K-50 images soon. Salut, J
Bonjour Jean, Thank you for the warm welcome. Do I have to wait before I can post images or galleries here?

09-15-2014, 05:06 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anticles Quote
... Bonjour Jean, Thank you for the warm welcome. Do I have to wait before I can post images or galleries here?
Not that I know of ... You should be able to post some images and create a gallery right away. You even should have access to the PF marketplace as both a seller and as a buyer. Cheers, J
09-15-2014, 05:12 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Not that I know of ... You should be able to post some images and create a gallery right away. You even should have access to the PF marketplace as both a seller and as a buyer. Cheers, J
Brilliant, thank you! I thought I was on a probation ;p
09-15-2014, 05:28 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Anticles! Hello from Kansas. Years ago I had a OM2n also. I bought my first DSLR a K-50 in March.
Its a great camera and you'll have a lot of fun. I have taken my K-50 out in light and medium rain several times.
Its a great feature.

09-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks Tim that's reassuringly good news! It's when I'm light painting, sometimes I can be 2/300 meters away, up a tree.. and the heavens open I feel much better knowing that she can fend for herself until I can chuck a coat over her.

Too be honest, I'm waiting to find something I don't like with the K-50. The price is incredible considering it's capability and features!

PS. Frank looks a lovely fellow.
09-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Yes I do have that, what a brilliant feature! I use the Benbo Trekker tripod which can be a dangerous finger trapping experience! so that sort of fine tune is so clever. I love the way they've taken an already impressive SR component and utilised it to perform many extra tricks, and really well!
I do not think the SR should be on when you're on a tripod, otherwise it will cause blurry pictures. Perhaps you mean the electronic level when you press the "info" button, and the rear LCD screen goes from the screen data (aperture, ISO, shutter speed etc), to the level, and then another press turns off the rear screen.

I'm talking about in the "Menu", (in the first tab), theres a function called "Horizon Correction". When enabled, and when you are shooting handheld with SR on, the sensor will level itself, either 1 degree to the left, or 1 degree to the right, so's that you rarely end up with crooked pictures.

Its simply the best feature, and I rarely have crooked pictures handheld. Not like with my old Nikon or Sony. Though the sony had a level in the viewfinder, but you find yourself pausing to level the camera before taking the picture. With the Pentax, its done automatically so you're not worrying about the level and the dots in the EVF. Its just like Olympus's 5 axis sensor shift.
09-15-2014, 06:14 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
I do not think the SR should be on when you're on a tripod, otherwise it will cause blurry pictures. Perhaps you mean the electronic level when you press the "info" button, and the rear LCD screen goes from the screen data (aperture, ISO, shutter speed etc), to the level, and then another press turns off the rear screen.

I'm talking about in the "Menu", (in the first tab), theres a function called "Horizon Correction". When enabled, and when you are shooting handheld with SR on, the sensor will level itself, either 1 degree to the left, or 1 degree to the right, so's that you rarely end up with crooked pictures.

Its simply the best feature, and I rarely have crooked pictures handheld. Not like with my old Nikon or Sony. Though the sony had a level in the viewfinder, but you find yourself pausing to level the camera before taking the picture. With the Pentax, its done automatically so you're not worrying about the level and the dots in the EVF. Its just like Olympus's 5 axis sensor shift.
No, you are correct there shouldn't be any need for the SR on a tripod. In fact it disables it in many "tripod" modes. I've not used the horizontal correction, does it automatically straighten the image then? I just thought i could manually rotate the image using the sensor to save messing with the tripod!?

Thank you for clarifying ;]

09-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PS. Frank looks a lovely fellow.
Thanks, Yes he is unless its a mouse.
09-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

No, you are correct there shouldn't be any need for the SR on a tripod. In fact it disables it in many "tripod" modes. I've not used the horizontal correction, does it automatically straighten the image then? I just thought i could manually rotate the image using the sensor to save messing with the tripod!?

Thank you for clarifying ;]
I suppose when I put my camera on the tripod, I'll switch to the electronic level, and level the camera, as this level is in real time. There's no point in going into "Composition Adjust" to adjust the level of the sensor - because I already did it. So for me to go into the "Composition Adjust" menu, to make an adjustment to the level of the sensor is too fiddly.

I suppose I don't see a need to use that function, unless if I was at the Riddler's house lol. So if you were well and truelly in some rocky area, and you contorted your tripod legs, and the tripod head and could not get it level, perhaps manually going in and adjusting the sensor might give you some extra leeway. Perhaps some of the other forum members have found a use for that function. Like if they did not have a tripod and rested the camera on a fence that wasn't straight, and you could go in manually and adjust the sensor level - or put little rocks or bark under the camera. I don't know, but its good that you have that option.