Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello herd, K-50 freshly open.

I'm a graphic designer from the south coast of England. I was brought up with cameras around and started off on an OM2n from olympus, I shoot whatever interests me but what's grabbed me the most recently is photography in the hours of darkness. It's all pretty new to me, so any constructive help is alway appreciated.. And if you're in the area and fancy going out just give me a shout! Here's my piccies from my previous camera, an Olympus E510.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/munkymitz/

Anyways, here I am, the K-50 my new tool.. and my first hard earned DSLR. I'm keen to hear anyone's opinions, including tips or drawbacks for the K-50, and also better shooting practises.

I'm really impressed with the astrotracking ability when coupled with the GPS, which I only read about post purchasing.. you can imagine my happiness. Does anyone use this, if so please so some comparisons, I've seen some on the web, but it's always nice to see them first hand.

Thanks ;] and have a happy weekend.

09-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard.
Search for threads about astrophotography - you'll be amazed and astounded at what you'll find here.

The K50's a great camera, you're going to get plenty of use. Which lens set did you get?
09-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #3

Welcome to Pentaxforums.

Those are some very nice shots. Which just proves, once again, how it is not the camera that's responsible for good photos. And that I have to go out hunting again soon... too bad the weather has been rather horrid recently. Anyways, have fun exploring your new lightcatcher!
09-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard.
Search for threads about astrophotography - you'll be amazed and astounded at what you'll find here.

The K50's a great camera, you're going to get plenty of use. Which lens set did you get?
Ter-or: Thanks I'll be glued to them, I missed an opportunity to catch the Milky Way but my E510 sensor couldn't do the job :/. I settled for the combo with a 18-55 WR and a 50-200 WR. Too be honest it was the amazing WR housing that swong me from the Nikon d5300. And looking at the lens compatibility of the K-50, I'm glad for it.. What lens would you suggest??

Undot: Thank you kind sir ;] you must get out there, you might just miss that perfect break in the weather!!

09-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Hi! So many new faces here (including me) at just one day

Very nice pictures on your flickr, especially those light painting shots, wow!
Tried that only once in my living room with my iPhone LED, you have to get a feeling for the right shutter speed and movement of your arms... but that's what makes digital photography so addictive and fun! You'll never run out of new ideas or things you haven't tried out yet
09-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anticles Quote
Ter-or: Thanks I'll be glued to them, I missed an opportunity to catch the Milky Way but my E510 sensor couldn't do the job :/. I settled for the combo with a 18-55 WR and a 50-200 WR. Too be honest it was the amazing WR housing that swong me from the Nikon d5300. And looking at the lens compatibility of the K-50, I'm glad for it.. What lens would you suggest??
Since you have the WR combo I usually suggest the "normal" DA 35mm f2.4 as your first prime. It might be useful as a wide sky lens, too. Though for that perhaps a good 50mm manual lens would be even better - like an A50 1.7? Read through those threads, you'll get an idea. You can usually find old manual lenses on Craigslist, though you might need to buy a camera body with them...

The DA35 is just a nice inexpensive prime, great IQ and easy to use.

Beyond that, get a feel for what you want to do - the 2 lens combo will give you an idea what you want to do better. Then you'll always have a WR option when that's useful, plus a few specialized lenses.

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 10:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wuschti Quote

Tried that only once in my living room with my iPhone LED, you have to get a feeling for the right shutter speed and movement of your arms... but that's what makes digital photography so addictive and fun! You'll never run out of new ideas or things you haven't tried out yet
I just had a thought about light painting.

Cats of course go nuts with a laser pointer. So does our 2yr old husky - just pick up the pointer and he's waiting... A long exposure could capture the pointer and the dog chasing it as a blur. Anyone try this?
09-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #7

Cats of course go nuts with a laser pointer. So does our 2yr old husky - just pick up the pointer and he's waiting... A long exposure could capture the pointer and the dog chasing it as a blur. Anyone try this?
Hehehe no cats or dugs, but big fat ugly house spiders... the male ones come out at night looking for chicks, creeps me out every time. I believe with laser pointers you can have a lot of fun with them

09-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Hello herd
Welcome to the forum, as for being part of the herd, lets just see how the vote goes next week eh.
09-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, as for being part of the herd, lets just see how the vote goes next week eh.
There's a vote next week? What are we voting on? I love votes.
09-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's a vote next week?
Yep certainly is...

What are we voting on?
Scottish folk only; getting a say in our own future.

I love votes
Norm, you'll just need to sit this one out and watch the results.
09-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm really impressed with the astrotracking ability when coupled with the GPS, which I only read about post purchasing.. you can imagine my happiness. Does anyone use this, if so please so some comparisons, I've seen some on the web, but it's always nice to see them first hand.
Don't forget to read the manual fully to see more features, this was something I didn't do at first having previously had a nikon and sony slt. I smacked myself on the forehead after reading about "Horizon correction", where the SR levels the sensor within 2 degrees. You should have it on the K-50.
09-13-2014, 03:44 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wuschti Quote

Hey fellow fresh face! Thank you kind sir ;] It's definitely something to master, like you say a feeling for it helps, especially an awareness of your perspective to the lens.

A majority of the time due to all of the many variable factors, you can spend 20mins painting a shot to find it's nothing as you expected or miraculously better than your wildest dreams

I like you're new setup, I'm a little jealous But I can't fault the K-50 so far!! How do you find that Sigma zoom¿
09-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #13

Original Poster
Since you have the WR combo I usually suggest the "normal" DA 35mm f2.4 as your first prime. It might be useful as a wide sky lens, too. Though for that perhaps a good 50mm manual lens would be even better - like an A50 1.7? Read through those threads, you'll get an idea. You can usually find old manual lenses on Craigslist, though you might need to buy a camera body with them...

The DA35 is just a nice inexpensive prime, great IQ and easy to use.

Beyond that, get a feel for what you want to do - the 2 lens combo will give you an idea what you want to do better. Then you'll always have a WR option when that's useful, plus a few specialized lenses.

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 10:33 AM ----------

Good shout on the DA35, I like the look of it. Do you think this SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database would work well for the K-50? Some people say to be really careful buying adaptors for the lens though as the cheap ones can jam on the body. Is there a safe brand out there or is it not really worth worrying about??

As for cats in pyjamas running up the walls... I think I need another coffee - Although, a 3watt Cree bulb harnessed onto a spiders abdomen while he hunts my laser pen could awesome!! I wonder if you could get a few together and train them to do a routine.. That's a completely bonkers idea TER-OR, which could lead to loads of fun!

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 04:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Thank you. Ha! I'm going to need to buy a bloody passport now just to cross the border. Where do you sit with it Kerrowdown?

It's going to mess a lot of things up for a few years.. Fees for universities, Scottish Doctors having to sit the extra English papers to become a doctor in the EU.. it's endless hassle it seems.

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 04:06 AM ----------

Yes I do have that, what a brilliant feature! I use the Benbo Trekker tripod which can be a dangerous finger trapping experience! so that sort of fine tune is so clever. I love the way they've taken an already impressive SR component and utilised it to perform many extra tricks, and really well!

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 04:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Don't forget to read the manual fully to see more features, this was something I didn't do at first having previously had a nikon and sony slt. I smacked myself on the forehead after reading about "Horizon correction", where the SR levels the sensor within 2 degrees. You should have it on the K-50.
Yes I do have that, what a brilliant feature! I use the Benbo Trekker tripod which can be a dangerous finger trapping experience! so that sort of fine tune is so clever. I love the way they've taken an already impressive SR component and utilised it to perform many extra tricks, and really well!

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 04:10 AM ----------

Sorry I messed that one up :/ Been a while since I was on a forum.
09-13-2014, 04:35 AM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

The M 50mm f/1.7 it generally regarded as a better lens than the f/2.0 model.. so if you can find that one, might be a better option.

Outside of that, the DA 50mm f/1.8 is even nicer (imo) if you are also looking for autofocus and have a larger budget from the M.
09-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Anticles ... Hope to see some K-50 images soon. Salut, J