Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Hello from Canada

Hi everyone!

Since Iíve already posted some comments on the forum, I think itís about time I introduce myself. I just didnít had the time to do it before.
Iíve bought my first Pentax SLR in 1995 or 1996, not sure of the year. It was an entry-level MZ-50 kit that served me well. Although after a few years I wanted to upgrade to something better, like the MZ-7/5/S, it was also at the time when it was increasingly clear that the future was digital. It just didnít make much sense to me, at the time, to invest into high end 35mm equipment. So, instead of buying a new, I rather bought a few lenses (28-105mm zoom, 50mm 1.7), a FGZ360 flash and other accessories. A basic but decent setup at the time which allowed me to get a few prices in the local photo club and even a photo published in a photo magazine. In the end, Iíve kept shooting with the MZ-50 for 10 years!

However, then in 2006, the digital revolution has taken over the photography world. It was increasingly difficult to find labs with E6 process, and also pricier to get the film developed. At about the same time, the photo club also had to close its darkroom. Meaning that it was quite complicated for me to do B&W, unless I invest in my own darkroom, which was not an option at the time. So, I decided it was time to move on and take the leap into the digital world. Choosing a Pentax was quite natural, since I could keep all my lenses (thank you backward compatibility!) and most accessories. Thus, I bought my first DSLR, a *ist DL kit with the DA 18-55.
For me, the transition from 35mm to digital APS-C hasnít be really smooth. First, the DOF wasnít at all the same and settings that served me well in the past were now giving so-so results. Secondly, I didnít had Photoshop and didnít do any post-processing to my pictures. I was still in the mind of the slide shooting era where you got what you shoot without much, if any, possibilities to change anything afterward. But, many of you will remember that 2006 was in the middle of the ďPhotoshop frenzy fashionĒ era, when pictures were what would be now considered grossly overmanipulated. So, when doing our annual photo club exposition, my pictures were just looking pale when side by side with the extra sharpen/contrast/hue of other photographers. Which leads me to talk about the third reason the transition was difficult: family. I was then a new father with a family and a house to take care of. Thus, I simply didnít had the time, and the will, to invest in buying/learning all the new digital tools. I also simply didnít had the time to just go out and shoot, or participate in the club photo activities. So, I leaved the club and my photography hobby just fall in what would be in a long hiatus.

Now, letís make a jump to 2013. My wife asked me to do some cleaning in my old photography things because she needed the space for something. Looking back in these old slides and negative boxes remind me of a project I had a long time ago: digitize them. It just happened that, a the same time, the Epson V550 scanner was on sale. So just bought the scanner and start digitizing what was worth to keep. But, it was also obvious that I would had to use some post processing software to get the best results. So, I finally got and learn to use LR and PS. Working again with these old pictures was, without me noticing it at first, lighting the flame again.
So, about a month ago, I was on vacation, one beautiful morning. I just had an idea and asked my oldest daughter if she would like to come take a walk with me and take some pictures. She obviously said yes, take a P&S, and out we were. Going out specifically for shooting pictures was something I havenít done in years. We had a great time and, to top it, we also brought back some nice pictures. I thus decided that I should start going out again and take pictures.

Which brings me to how I got to this forum. Working with LR, I experienced the limitation of my old DL. The dynamic range was limited and 6MP only allowed very limited cropping. Dust on the sensor also made me thing that a camera with a sensor cleaning feature would be useful. And image stabilization and better ISO performance would be great for indoor shots. Iíve noticed a used K-7 that had all these and looked like a good upgrade from my DL. Before buying it however, I came to the Pentax forum for advice. This was a good thing, since people here tells me that I could get a used K-5 or a new K-500 for about the same price, both being technically better camera. I ended up buying a used, bust almost new (49 clicks) K-500. I will keep the DL and give it to my daughter, so she can accompanied whenever she wants. So, I guess the flame is back again and, hopefully, I will be able again to take some great pictures!

Sorry if this is a bit long, but sometime you start just writing something and just find out at the end that itís much longer than you first expected!

09-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

I have a lot of negatives to digitize too - but am thinking of a bellows arrangement so I can take macro pictures of the negatives.
09-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum...
09-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I guess the flame is back again
Welcome to the forum, we all very good here at fanning those wee flames into bigger fires.

09-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, CarlJF ... Hope to see some images soon. Salut, J