Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello again (I'm back!) from Costa Rica

It's been a while, perhaps more years that I would like to count. Used to avidly participate here at Pentaxforums during mid to late 1990's. Then had to give up photography for a while and came back to the forum around 2008, for a couple of years. Again, health issues kept me away untill few months back where I was given "another" second chance in life, so I am grabbing my Pentax Gear again and will try to do my best catching up with the forum again.

I am sure that in the next few days, I will start seeing and remembering a lot of people around here.

Robert Burgos

09-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome back! You will not remember me because I am new here
09-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
It's great to be able to welcome you back after your medical absence, I wonder if you'll see many changes here?
09-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome back! Send pics from CR. Visited once and enjoyed it very much.

09-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you sure your signature is still appropriate...
Is it Bill Gates trying to absorb all into the collective or has he been outpaced :^)

As far as new stuff here...
"Pentax has recently made no announcement about FF"
That out to bring you home.
09-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
Welcome back! You will not remember me because I am new here
Of course you are "new" to me. In fact, probably everyone may seem new. I can hardly remember any name from the forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's great to be able to welcome you back after your medical absence, I wonder if you'll see many changes here?
Well, everything is new. Back in the 90's, the forum was managed by "digest" listings to your e-mail, which slowly but steady, turned each daily download into a real headache. Just text. No html or images... most of us hooked up to the web via dial up! Remember?

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Welcome back! Send pics from CR. Visited once and enjoyed it very much.
There are still some of my pics around here. I just checked my uploadings and there they are. I have to guess how to make them available for the forum to look at. I'm sure they are available by default. Just need to sweep some dust around.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Is it Bill Gates trying to absorb all into the collective or has he been outpaced :^)

Well, that expression was totally valid before the smartphone and tablet era. Now that it has turned that more than half of the people used their computers just to access the web (forums, e-mail and social networks), the desktop computer business has dropped like a brick. Now Windows or even Apple's IOS is safe from a possible vanish from the face of the earth. More and more open souce systems are catching up but in term, the real business is no longer in the operating systems rather than the "available provided services for free, financed by advertizers worldwide" such as Facebook and Tweeter.

Still waiting for that announcement... thus, still keep all my old FF glass arsenal that I know for sure, I will use again to their full capacity... Yeah!
09-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #7

Ah que bien un vecino! Bienvenido de nuevo!

09-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome back to PF, Robert ... Hope to see some images soon. Salut, J
09-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
Ah que bien un vecino! Bienvenido de nuevo!
Interesante, pero por respeto al foro, mantengamos esto en Inglés.

This is quite a new thing around here: a fellow costarrican member. Back when we read the forum via mailing list (digest forum), it was next to impossible to keep track of every subject (thread) even less all the members. During those days (mid 90's), if you skipped the mailing list for a few days (long weekend for example), then it was sure impossible to keep up with anything you've been following up.

FWIW, we Pentaxians are rare animals resisting to extinction. Our country is no different but somehow strange in this matter, since Pentax is about the only brand that has had real factory authorized commercial and service offices in Costa Rica for many years (40+ !!!) whereas the N and C brands had only a few now and then "generic repair shops" and no real commercial dealership.

One of this days, we can arrange something to meet and "compare notes" about Pentax.

Regards,

---------- Post added 09-13-2014 at 02:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote

I changed my signature because yes, you are right. Many things have changed in the computer business in the past 10 years.... but for my surprise, my new signature appears on my old posts !!! So, anyone scratching your head about this thread, this was my signature before the one that shows now:

"Resistance is futile; you will be absorbed by the collectivity" (Bill Gates)" (This was "stealing" a quote from Star Trek... the Borg!)
09-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Interesante, pero por respeto al foro, mantengamos esto en Inglés.

This is quite a new thing around here: a fellow costarrican member. Back when we read the forum via mailing list (digest forum), it was next to impossible to keep track of every subject (thread) even less all the members. During those days (mid 90's), if you skipped the mailing list for a few days (long weekend for example), then it was sure impossible to keep up with anything you've been following up.

FWIW, we Pentaxians are rare animals resisting to extinction. Our country is no different but somehow strange in this matter, since Pentax is about the only brand that has had real factory authorized commercial and service offices in Costa Rica for many years (40+ !!!) whereas the N and C brands had only a few now and then "generic repair shops" and no real commercial dealership.

One of this days, we can arrange something to meet and "compare notes" about Pentax.

Regards,
Yes, we are few but things are changing. We now have a Facebook Group! Look for -Pentax Costa Rica-, you'll be surprised! There are some die-hard Pentaxians over here! Hope we can meet and chat!

Andre