Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #1

Hello from the North!

Hello everyone,

Just received my shiny new K-30 with the 18-55 WR lense. Got an amazing deal from "The Camera Store" for $350, the only catch being they only had it in blue. After about a year of reading and researching almost every camera on market, pulled a trigger on this deal a few days ago. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

Anyways, super excited about taking pictures. I am mostly interested in Landscape and some street photography. Would love to get some advice on lenses i should be looking at. I am trying to decide between the DAL 35mm f2.4 AL, DA 50mm f1.8 SMC & the DA 40mm f2.8 XS smc.

Look forward to growing my skills with and sharing it with the community!

Cheers,

09-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a nice shade of blue. In a way, the blue might keep people from reacting to it as a camera and stiffening up or turning away, if you're into street photography for example.

As for lenses, it really depends on what type of photography you are into. I own a Pentax DA 40mm Pancake lens that I really love, it was my most used lens until recently. It's compact size mounted to a K-5 allows me to stash it in a cargo pocket in my pants if I want to wander around town looking for opportunities but don't want to look like "joe tourist." or want to do some street photos without being obvious. Since the K30 is a bit smaller, you could do the same. It takes fantastic pictures and the focal length makes it pretty versatile, and it is f2.8.

I recently purchased a used Pentax-A 50mm f1.8, and it is a great versatile lens, but it's the Depth of Field variability at the widest apertures that really makes me like this lens a lot. It's the lens I'm using this month here on the forums: Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

As it is, I used the same 18-55 for nearly a year before buying any other lenses, it's a very good lens, and being weather-resistant allow me to take pictures in terrible conditions. As a NatGeo photgrapher once told me "Bad weather makes for good pictures."

I look for ward to seeing your shots, and consider joining the group I linked above. trying to take a picture every day encourages me to try new things.
09-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum... a k-30 is a great thing...I never owned one but I was many times tempted, but I never saw one for $350 with a WR lens. If you're into wildlife at all you want the 55-300. Personally, I'd go for the 50 1.8 first. There are instances where you can get an image with a 1.8 you can't get with anything else. Everyone should have at lest one ƒ1.8 lens in their bag.
09-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #4

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay and your new camera.

The 50mm f1.8 was my first prime and it is a really nice piece of glass (and plastic). As advertised a fine prime for portraits. Ultimately I got the 35mm as well as it's just that bit wider. Both will do for street photography, with the 50 being more tele of course. If I had known before I might have opted for the 40mm limited though. Tiny, light, limited and between those two focal lengths. There's a few of those on the marketplace right now.

For landscape your kit lens has a good focal range. You could have a look into the super wides (one day ). I sure fell in love with my Tamron 10-24mm.

Anyways, welcome and happy shooting.

Last edited by Undot; 09-13-2014 at 05:10 AM.
09-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and I guess in this case blue is good.
09-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, van.city ... Hope to see some K-30 images soon. Salut, J

PS - I would recommend the DA 50/1.8 first and then the DA 35/2.4 ... I have both.
09-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

congrats on your new camera. use the 18-55 for a while and see what focal length in that range you gravitate to.
Then look at what is available in that range.
I can recommend the 55-300 all day long