Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
They probably try to convince new Canikon owners to buy specific lenses they don't have, so they can borrow them...
This is basically true. I know several VERY active photographers locally, but find it difficult to talk with them because their concerns, questions, and advice are mostly gear-based and we know nothing about each others' gear. My gear pretty much takes care of itself.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-16-14 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Welcome to the Pentaxland which is known for slogan - "Pentaxisdooomed"!!
We need to get a t-shirt or hat with that design.

Steve

09-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Norm, knowing camera clubs here, I would still say that's too close for comfort.
I look at camera clubs as an excuse to snooze during the meeting but go to the bar for a few drinks with a few members afterwards. You have to keep these things in perspective.
09-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You have to keep these things in perspective.
Aye, but I find bar dram measures a bit light, they barely cover the bottom of the glass, especially after becoming accustomed to good home measures.
09-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John-TO Quote
That's when I felt like a leper—every person offered a slight frown and that down and away look with the puckering of the lips as if they were saying, "Oooh" and thinking, NEWBIE!!!!!!. Really? Canon or Nikon snobs I guess.
Sounds familiar... Oh, this!

09-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

I would just say that you should let your photos do the talking. As time goes by and you grow, they won't say much any more.

People ask me if I shoot Nikon or Canon and I say Pentax. Older photographers recognize the brand, younger folks not so much. A lot of people think it must be some kind of "upper level" brand like Leica, cause it produces better photos than their Canons and Nikons do.
09-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
must be some kind of "upper level" brand like Leica, cause it produces better photos than their Canons and Nikons do
I like it.
09-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"What camera did you buy?"
At least the question was polite! Usually people who know that I just bought my first DSLR ask to me "Did you buy a Canon or a Nikon?".
Sometimes, when I don't need to be polite, my answer is "I said a DSLR, not a toy". I don't think that other brands are not good, but I hate the idea that all the camera's world must be reduced to a dualism.
Welcome John!

09-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Sounds familiar... Oh, this!

I've never met a duck that was ugly.
09-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum... there's more expertise here than you're likely to find in your camera club... especially with regards to Pentax. But it's still nice to talk to other enthusiasts... I'd kill to have a local camera club, the nearest one is 110 km away.
You can have the Phoenix Camera club... I'll pay to ship them to Canada. Between the Jr High whining about not winning each and every photo contest, to the half a dozen awards bestowed to the under age 15 demographic, it was more about getting a ribbon and having bragging rights than it was about what actually made an image good and what techniques were used.

I attended one meeting and was so annoyed by the pettiness and self aggrandizing of the regular members and the overzealous (and unwarranted in my opinion) praise of select younger members, I never went back.
09-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #25

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum... there's more expertise here than you're likely to find in your camera club... especially with regards to Pentax. But it's still nice to talk to other enthusiasts... I'd kill to have a local camera club, the nearest one is 110 km away.
Mine is literally a 4 minute walk up the road. It's been around for 126 years. I might find one that fits my personality better, but not my location. I'll probably join. Hard to have an excuse why you didn't make it out to a meeting when you're so close.
09-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Anyway, happy to be among fellow Pentax-owning folk.
Welcome. Here is a thread you might enjoy.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/109990-we-really-rare.html
09-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
kpl

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PentaxForums!

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard!

If you go back, continue to be positive and upbeat - ask about technique, how they managed lighting, exposure, movement, etc.
If nothing else, you'll annoy the hell out of the fanbois and discover the real photographers.
TER-OR is absolutely right
Just be positive about it and build a reputation of open-mindedness, skill, theoretical and technical expertise.

I wonder if there's a club in my region...

Cheers,
kpl
09-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
You can have the Phoenix Camera club... I'll pay to ship them to Canada. Between the Jr High whining about not winning each and every photo contest, to the half a dozen awards bestowed to the under age 15 demographic, it was more about getting a ribbon and having bragging rights than it was about what actually made an image good and what techniques were used.

I attended one meeting and was so annoyed by the pettiness and self aggrandizing of the regular members and the overzealous (and unwarranted in my opinion) praise of select younger members, I never went back.
I would never join a club that would have me as a member.
09-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Just keep on shooting and make a point of sharing what you took. They'll come around.
09-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #30
Forum Member

After doing a lot of research I decided on and just bought a Pentax K-50 with the kit lenses—a good camera to start with, I think. For the price, the comparable Canons and Nikons didn't have the same features it seemed to me.

Last night I went to the Camera Club, investigating whether to join; the first question, of course, "What camera did you buy?" That's when I felt like a leper—every person offered a slight frown and that down and away look with the puckering of the lips as if they were saying, "Oooh" and thinking, NEWBIE!!!!!!. Really? Canon or Nikon snobs I guess.

Anyway, happy to be among fellow Pentax-owning folk. I look forward to learning from you all and contributing when I can.

Cheers!
The problem is that yo bought a K-50. They are complete garbage.

Kidding of course. Got my K-50 yesterday. I am guessing you are loving yours as much as I am digging mine.