Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #1

I'm new and I felt like a leper…

After doing a lot of research I decided on and just bought a Pentax K-50 with the kit lenses—a good camera to start with, I think. For the price, the comparable Canons and Nikons didn't have the same features it seemed to me.

Last night I went to the Camera Club, investigating whether to join; the first question, of course, "What camera did you buy?" That's when I felt like a leper—every person offered a slight frown and that down and away look with the puckering of the lips as if they were saying, "Oooh" and thinking, NEWBIE!!!!!!. Really? Canon or Nikon snobs I guess.

Anyway, happy to be among fellow Pentax-owning folk. I look forward to learning from you all and contributing when I can.

Cheers!

09-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by John-TO Quote
Canon or Nikon snobs I guess
Welcome to the forum, jealousy is a strange mistress.
09-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, John ... Hope to see a K-50 image or two soon. Salut, J
09-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You didn't get "Pentax? They still make cameras?".

09-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John-TO Quote
After doing a lot of research I decided on and just bought a Pentax K-50 with the kit lenses—a good camera to start with, I think. For the price, the comparable Canons and Nikons didn't have the same features it seemed to me.

Last night I went to the Camera Club, investigating whether to join; the first question, of course, "What camera did you buy?" That's when I felt like a leper—every person offered a slight frown and that down and away look with the puckering of the lips as if they were saying, "Oooh" and thinking, NEWBIE!!!!!!. Really? Canon or Nikon snobs I guess.

Anyway, happy to be among fellow Pentax-owning folk. I look forward to learning from you all and contributing when I can.

Cheers!
They probably try to convince new Canikon owners to buy specific lenses they don't have, so they can borrow them...

Welcome to the land where the grass isn't any greener, just a slightly different shade of verdant...
09-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It is like the fashionistas who must wear expensive, branded clothing and accessories. They don't really look for quality or features, they just want that highly recognizable brand to tell everyone how chic they are. Same with many camera club geeks. Many don't even know WHY they want Canon or Nikon, they just know that is what everyone else thinks is good. Many don't even know the feature sets of their expensive gear.

Rest easy in the knowledge that you are a more discerning consumer who cares about what he is using rather than what the name is on the outside.

Welcome.
09-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Everyone has gone through a similar experience at one point or another. On the other side, I was waking downtown one day rocking my pro setup: K-5iis with attached grip and DA* 50-135mm, the gear was turning heads. A few people approached me to ask about the camera. When one older gentleman inquired on why i chose Pentax, i replied: Because it's the best camera system for the money, hands down. Don't be dismayed by people, spend 99% of your time in the field getting to know you gear and improving you skills ( 1% should be delegated to looking for lenses and reading posts here at PF) and you'll blow your Canonikons peers out of the water in no time.

09-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

If you go back, continue to be positive and upbeat - ask about technique, how they managed lighting, exposure, movement, etc.
If nothing else, you'll annoy the hell out of the fanbois and discover the real photographers.
09-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
owl
Forum Member

The last canon user I ran into, I was holding an umbrella to keep his camera from getting wet, all while teasing him that he should have bought a Pentax. He said he wanted a Nikon, there is no helping some people.
09-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome John!

People mock in ignorance. As you were leaving, did you notice them all driving either a Honda or a Toyota?

Next time you could say, "...well yes I considered your brand too but I feel my photography will eventually lead me to shooting medium format and sadly, Canon/Nikon just do not have anything to offer."
09-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum... there's more expertise here than you're likely to find in your camera club... especially with regards to Pentax. But it's still nice to talk to other enthusiasts... I'd kill to have a local camera club, the nearest one is 110 km away.
09-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Joining a camera club can be a good way to learn about photo techniques, share experiences in the field, and find out about good shooting locations, amongst other benefits.

I took a short course here a couple of years ago. I was the only person out of about ten who carried Pentax, but there was a variety of cameras, including one gentleman who used a film camera (Fujica, I recall, with a wonderful EBC Fujinon lens).

If you're ever asked "...Pentax? Why did you buy a Pentax...?" there are all sorts of good answers, including, "the other brands didn't have all the features I wanted at a price I was willing to pay."

Anyways, hope to hear from you often on PF.

- Craig
09-16-2014, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd kill to have a local camera club, the nearest one is 110 km away
Norm, knowing camera clubs here, I would still say that's too close for comfort.
09-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Pentaxland which is known for slogan - "Pentaxisdooomed"!!

There is an intimidating factor when you join those Rebel D3000/5000/7000 clans initially, but soon you will know how good you are (and you have done your homework), and there is nothing you should feel negative about.

Hope to see some of your photos...
09-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When I encounter a rabid Canonikon I throw in front of them a brochure with all their available lenses, and and watch as they get consumed by LBA and indecision. Shopping for pentax gear is like getting groceries at Trader Joe's, you may think there's not a lot of choice, but whatever you get it's guaranteed to taste great (be good for you, and save you time in the long time)