Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #1

Another hello from Seattle

Hi --

I recently got back into photography, and with fond memories of my old K-1000, I tried a K5ii and loved the ergonomics, weather sealing, and in-body stabilization for old lenses. I'm now struggling with lens lust syndrome, and need to spend more time photographing instead of researching lenses online! (any recommendations on affordable macros, old or new, are welcome!)

Looking to meet up with anyone in the Seattle area

Cheers,
Greg

09-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to you from Longview! Enjoy the II and its ability to shoot in the dark and good luck with gear restraint, we see it as a mythical goal but go ahead & try!
09-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #3

Welcome grogzoid! I'm in Seattle, too.

Hard to keep gear acquisition syndrome at bay. I've got the kit lens, but I'm a big fan of the primes.

I transitioned from film about a year ago, and have always liked shooting normal to wide. I'm enjoying the 21mm Limited and the the 35mm Limited Macro.

If you're on a budget, I've heard/read great things about the DA 35mm f2.4. (Same optical formula as the FA 35mm f2.0--a classic double-Gauss design.) Might be a good prime to start with.
09-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a ferry ride away from Seattle if you'd like to meet up some time. I have the 35 Limited and it is capable of taking stunning shots both Macro and generally.

09-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, welcome.

Tho things:
1. I started watching "The killing" tv show, the setting is Seattle. Is it always raining and everyone goes arround like nothing as seen in the series? I mean they get a shower each time they get out of the car for a smoke, literally.
2. For macro, I recently got a FA100/3.5 1:2 Macro lens. It`s not the best but it`s great for what it goes for. There`s a Vivitar version (same, re-branded lens, I think the original design is Cosina`s) for U$120 in the marketplace right now. On the lens, it`s plastic, not very good built, bad for manual focus. On the other hand, it`s really light, fast focusing, good to excelent image quality.
09-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by grogzoid Quote
instead of researching lenses online
Welcome to the forum, it would seem that the LBA force is particularly strong with you.
09-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the lens suggestion! I Just ordered a used Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Macro 172E Lens from Japan... fingers crossed! It has all '10' ratings in the lens database, so looking forward to it.

As for "The Killing" - it's filmed in Vancouver, Canada -- it never actually rains here in Seattle, it's just a story to keep too many people from moving here. In reality, there are frequent light rains or mists, but rarely any heavy rain at all. So, we go around in hiking jackets etc..., but only visitors carry umbrellas.

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Hi, welcome.

Tho things:
1. I started watching "The killing" tv show, the setting is Seattle. Is it always raining and everyone goes arround like nothing as seen in the series? I mean they get a shower each time they get out of the car for a smoke, literally.
2. For macro, I recently got a FA100/3.5 1:2 Macro lens. It`s not the best but it`s great for what it goes for. There`s a Vivitar version (same, re-branded lens, I think the original design is Cosina`s) for U$120 in the marketplace right now. On the lens, it`s plastic, not very good built, bad for manual focus. On the other hand, it`s really light, fast focusing, good to excelent image quality.

09-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

-- it never actually rains here in Seattle, it's just a story to keep too many people from moving here. In reality, there are frequent light rains or mists, but rarely any heavy rain at all. So, we go around in hiking jackets etc..., but only visitors carry umbrellas.
Whoa, it rains here 24/7. 35% of all babies in Western Washington are born with webbed feet; another 15% with fins. Last time I saw blue sky was 1997. Besides that, everyone is either stoned on weed or buzzed up on caffeine. Definitely not a place to raise a family, or even to linger more than a week, but less than a week it's pretty OK. Visitors really need to check out our super high retail taxes.

Thank you.

M
09-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
I think I need to hack the firmware to increase the magnitude of the image stabilization - it can't keep up with the Seattle Espresso Shakes. Seriously, coffee doesn't mix well with shooting cameras or guns.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Whoa, it rains here 24/7. 35% of all babies in Western Washington are born with webbed feet; another 15% with fins. Last time I saw blue sky was 1997. Besides that, everyone is either stoned on weed or buzzed up on caffeine. Definitely not a place to raise a family, or even to linger more than a week, but less than a week it's pretty OK. Visitors really need to check out our super high retail taxes.

Thank you.

M
09-27-2014, 02:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I need to hack the firmware to increase the magnitude of the image stabilization - it can't keep up with the Seattle Espresso Shakes. Seriously, coffee doesn't mix well with shooting cameras or guns.
Painfully true.
This time of year my primary dilemma is how it can be possible to limit coffee intake when shooting soccer matches at 8AM weekend mornings.

M