Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

Hello from Houston

I've been using the site for about six months and decided to register. I retired from the army recently and was a Public Affairs officer for a long time. I use to take photos but generally I had some photographers that worked for me that took them for me. I haven't used a SLR in 20+ years and wanted to get started again. I bought a Pentax KR off ebay. MY first SLR camera was a Pentax but never learned to use it that well. I would like to find it now so I can see if the lens I use to have is a good one. I've gone while buying lens off of ebay. I was impressed with the 18-55MM AL lens that came with my camera. I have a Pentax 28-70MM that has given me some good results. Just bought a Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 1:1.8 55mm, Sears Auto 200mm f/3.5 Telephoto, and a Ricoh Camera Lens Japan 50mm 1:2 on ebay and can't wait for them to get here so I can start experimenting.

09-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! Looks like you have started a nice lens collection Be careful with that Ricoh lens, though. Some of them have the infamous "Ricoh pin" that will get the lens stuck on your camera.

In short, do your research before trying to mount that lens.
09-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, enjoy your photography now, as you've got the time at last to do it.
09-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I went mad on Ebay and bought a Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 1:1.8 55mm Screw Mount M42 Lens, Sears Auto 200mm f/3.5 Telephoto Manual Focus Lens for Pentax M42 Mount, Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 1:1.8 55mm Screw Mount M42 Lens, and a Ricoh Camera Lens Japan 50mm 1:2 Rikenon. Yes I know I bought two Takumar 1:1.8 55MM by mistake. Trouble is only the Rikenon works. Since they all said Pentax in front of them, I thought they would all work. I guess I need the screw mount M42? I actaully thought the M42 screw mount type lens worked on my KR without an adapter. I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the welcome.

09-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by majboyd Quote
I've been using the site for about six months and decided to register. I retired from the army recently and was a Public Affairs officer for a long time. I use to take photos but generally I had some photographers that worked for me that took them for me. I haven't used a SLR in 20+ years and wanted to get started again. I bought a Pentax KR off ebay. MY first SLR camera was a Pentax but never learned to use it that well. I would like to find it now so I can see if the lens I use to have is a good one. I've gone while buying lens off of ebay. I was impressed with the 18-55MM AL lens that came with my camera. I have a Pentax 28-70MM that has given me some good results. Just bought a Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 1:1.8 55mm, Sears Auto 200mm f/3.5 Telephoto, and a Ricoh Camera Lens Japan 50mm 1:2 on ebay and can't wait for them to get here so I can start experimenting.
Howdy from Brenham, Tx. I live in Brenham and work in Houston so let me know if you ever need a buddy to go out photoing with. I live on a ranch so I have lots of photo opportunities here.

BTW, a big thanks for your service in the military.

Lumberjack93
09-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
I would love to shot pictures in Brenham. I got injured in 2003 and then got really messed up by the surgeon who can't practice medicine anymore. I had four surgeries to fix the one he screwed up. But I'm all better these days. I work six months out of the year training soldiers so I do have a lot of free time on my hands. I don't leave again until the day after Thanksgiving. Thanks for your kind words too. The hardest part about the military is retiring. It was an honor to serve.