Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #1

Howdy from Texas

Well, after a long debate, I've just purchased my first DSLR. I'm coming from the Point-n-Shoot world and the Canon Platform. I currently own a Canon SX-40 HS Power Shot and it's primary use is outdoor wildlife photography. I made the jump to Pentax over Canon because, after comparing both, I really liked the Pentax and especially the weather proofing. I also like the menu layout and the dual wheels. Anyway, my new Pentax is the K-50 in all black. I bought it from B&H with the 18-135 mm lens which is also weather proof.

I have already been looking at zoom lens over 300 mm I'm having a hard time with that. Too many choices.

Any other K-50 owners out there? If you get a chance, tell me what you like about the camera and any pitfalls that you've encountered.

Hope to post some photos soon.

Later

Lumberjack93

09-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

I'm a KR user and new as well. I bought a ton of lens off of ebay that said they were for Pentax but they don't work. I think I need an adapter.
09-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by majboyd Quote
w as well. I bough
I would post the list of lens's that you own and ask one of the pro's on this forum. I have always been told that K Mount lens would fit any of the newer Pentax DSLR cameras.
09-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #4

OK. I bought these lens. Actually bought two of the SMC 1:1.8 55mm by mistake but seems like a great lens. Sears Auto 200mm f/3.5 Telephoto Manual Focus Lens for Pentax M42 Mount, SMC Takumar 55mm f2 Prime Lens, M42, Adapt To Sony E, M4/3's, Fuji, Dslr, Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 1:1.8 55mm Screw Mount M42 Lens, Pentax Super-Takumar 55 mm F/1.8 Lens great glass, universal M42 screw mount. The problem is their mount is to small to fit on my KR. I thought they would all work since it had Pentax on them. I guess I need and adapter. I guess I need the adapter for screw mount M42? Anybody know? Thanks.

09-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well, I drew first blood tonight with the new Pentax. It was slightly raining so I took the K-50 out to capture a sunset.

[/URL]" target="_blank">

I hope you guys enjoy.

I can't wait to get some telephoto lenses for this camera.

Talk to you soon.

Lumberjack93
09-28-2014, 01:15 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.

Looking at your forum name led me to wonder, I didn't think that there were that many trees in Texas... or is that just because you've been so busy.
09-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum.

Looking at your forum name led me to wonder, I didn't think that there were that many trees in Texas... or is that just because you've been so busy.
Actually, the State is awash is trees. The eastern side of the state is full of Pine and Oak trees while the central and western regions are full of mesquite and post oak. I use the handle Lumberjack93 because of the University I attended. Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Tx. Our School mascot is the Lumberjack.

Lumberjack93
10-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

I went to Abilene Christian University and when we would play the Stephen F. Austin, all these people would be sitting in the stands with all these ax handles. We sure didn't want to pick a fight with those guys.

---------- Post added 10-01-14 at 02:40 PM ----------

Nice picture btw. Did you take that out in Brenham?

10-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by majboyd Quote
OK. I bought these lens. Actually bought two of the SMC 1:1.8 55mm by mistake but seems like a great lens. Sears Auto 200mm f/3.5 Telephoto Manual Focus Lens for Pentax M42 Mount, SMC Takumar 55mm f2 Prime Lens, M42, Adapt To Sony E, M4/3's, Fuji, Dslr, Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 1:1.8 55mm Screw Mount M42 Lens, Pentax Super-Takumar 55 mm F/1.8 Lens great glass, universal M42 screw mount. The problem is their mount is to small to fit on my KR. I thought they would all work since it had Pentax on them. I guess I need and adapter. I guess I need the adapter for screw mount M42? Anybody know? Thanks.
to Majboyd

You purchased the M42 mount lens. Great lenses, but they do require an adapter. These lenses screwed on to the old pentaxs. All of today's Pentaxs us the K-Mount. you can get an adapter on EBay for 10-20 USD. Then your lenses will work fine.
10-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by kchamber4 Quote
to Majboyd

You purchased the M42 mount lens. Great lenses, but they do require an adapter. These lenses screwed on to the old pentaxs. All of today's Pentaxs us the K-Mount. you can get an adapter on EBay for 10-20 USD. Then your lenses will work fine.
I've got an adapter coming on the sixth. So hopefully I can start using some of the lens I've bought.
10-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Lumberjack93... Hope to see some more images soon! Salut, J