Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from a Dutchy from Holland in The Netherlands

Hi Pentax Forums!

I got my first ever DSLR 2,5 months ago. I tried out canikons in stores, but wasn't really happy with the "feel" of them. Couldn't find a real shop closeby that sells the K-50 so I had to order it online, and when I got it in my hands, it just felt right. Of course that was also after a LOT of online reasearch (much of it on this forum too, thanks!). No other brand in this price range offered the WR + great feel + k-mount (for old lenses) + fps speed + I don't even remember what else haha. Unfortunately I couldn't order it in all the crazy colours / combo's I've seen around online. Well, only for outrageous prices, which are not justified for just a little different colour. So I had to stick with dull black/black, which unfortunately doesn't stand out too much from all the Canikons you see here.

I previously owned 3 different very compact Canon Powershot's with full manual settings (which I used a lot), so I'm not new to that, luckily. But getting the K-50 was definitely a step up, and I'm still very happy with it.

Anyways. I recently got the SMC Pentax-M 50/1.7 and 28/2.8 lenses for EUR 20 ($25) each and I haven't used the WR kit lenses since then. Really love the colours. And mounting a lens almost as old as myself on a brand new dslr still gives me a proper "FCUK!YAEH!" feeling

The 1st picture below is taken with the 50mm and got 3rd place at the 52-6 "selective focus" contest which I'm really proud of, and just have to brag about here
The 2nd picture is taken with the 28mm.
The 3rd picture is with the WR kit lens at 18mm

Oh and to clarify the thread titile: We're called Dutch, I don't even know why. Our country's name is The Netherlands. And to add to the confusion it is often also called Holland, which is officially only the west part of the country.

Hope to post some more stuff soon!

Gr,
J.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
09-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joris Quote
Hi Pentax Forums!
Oh and to clarify the thread titile: We're called Dutch, I don't even know why. Our country's name is The Netherlands. And to add to the confusion it is often also called Holland, which is officially only the west part of the country.

Hope to post some more stuff soon!

Gr,
J.
Even more confusion when you talk in North America about the Pennsylvania Dutch who were actually German. Welcome to the forum.
10-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ha, yeah I guess Dutch comes from Deutsch as from Deutschland. We apparently have much shared history. But I still don't see "Dutch" as a logical description of a "Netherlander " ;-)
10-01-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Joris,

Very warm welcome to Pentax Forums, and thank you for your introduction. Congratulations on getting your new camera and those wonderful manual lenses. The Pentax-M 50/1.7 is a real classic. Buying a camera on-line without handling it can be risky, but you probably understood from the many positive comments here that the Pentax models are well-knowen and liked for their ergonomics.

So, looking forward to hearing from you regularly.

- Craig

PS. I have visited The Hague several times on business, and enjoyed my time in The Netherlands.

10-01-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!
Keep having fun!
10-01-2014, 05:57 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I've never met a Dutchman I didn't like immensely. Welcome to the forum!
10-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ha, yeah I guess Dutch comes from Deutsch as from Deutschland. We apparently have much shared history. But I still don't see "Dutch" as a logical description of a "Netherlander " ;-)
Post Script: I have a "Dutch" mistress* in my home. Johannus (factory in Ede).

*My wife says I love my mistress more than I love her. Some days it is true.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
Man. I'm still in awe over that organ.

I make my music on a laptop, combined with some portable gear, which I can all fit in a small backpack. Less impressive haha.
10-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your system is a lot more portable. Mine looks a lot more impressive than it is, really. It is the smallest console Johannus built in 1998 that had the full size pedal board. The speakers are a Johannus add on. It was US$9,995 when I bought it in 2000, including the add-ons.
10-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
jns

Love the shots!
Congrats on your talent!

Best,
J
10-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Joris ... Hope to see some more images soon! Salut, J
10-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
And mounting a lens almost as old as myself on a brand new dslr still gives me a proper "FCUK!YAEH!" feeling
Welcome to the forum, less of the old... some of us here bought them brand new, when they were the "cutting edge" in lenses.
10-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #13

Original Poster

And well, "old/young" ARE relative words hehe ;-)
10-05-2014, 02:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welkom ! You don't have to worry about the confusion about whether its Holland/dutch/Netherlands. What would add to any confusion is if you were to add Boers and Afrikanas into the mix ! lol