Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Hello from a former Nikon user!

Hello guys and gals,
My name is Matt and I have recently switched to Pentax from Nikon. I had a d7000 but had to sell it a few months back. I just received my Pentax k5 and I am in love. In a few months I will also be adding a k3 to my collection. I love to travel and anything outdoors. My passion is travel documentary style photography but I also love landscapes and am now getting into adventure sports photography. I have done A LOT of research before making the switch, but thus far I am very glad I did. I really look forward to getting to know many of you on this forum and am looking forward to gleaning from all of your experiences with the Pentax system.

09-30-2014, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Glad to have you here. There is an incredible amount of information on this site as well a good number of very experienced Pentax users. They can answer just about anything you can think of.

Check out the lens database: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database and some info on the differences in various lens series: Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
Or the camera database: Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Lots of history in the Pentax system.
09-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome, enjoy the gear and enjoy this extremely helpful and friendly forum!
I am myself guilty of not posting often enough here, but many others do
09-30-2014, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum. You will find the K5and K3 are both really good cameras for travel photography - they are relatively small, robust and WR.

I switched from Nikon to Pentax for travel compactness too (a couple of years ago) - initially a K5, but I have a K3 now.

The Pentax DA Limited prime lenses are very small and light, and work very well as part of a travel kit.

Enjoy your time on this forum, it is a friendly place, and people are willing to help and answer questions

10-01-2014, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #5

Welcome to the forums, Matt.

I only started photography in the digital age and kinda started and stuck with the Pentax system. Not too hard since I'm only on my second camera. But I'm wondering what made you switch worlds?

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
a good number of very experienced Pentax users. They can answer just about anything you can think of.
There's also a good number of very inexperienced users, who cruise along to pick up useful infos in threads like these. Eventually, hopefully, becoming mighty experienced, of course.
10-01-2014, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Hello Matt and welcome to the Forums
10-01-2014, 04:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF, Matt.

Sounds like Pentax will fit your interests and passions well. As others have said, this forum has a terrific range of information, and folks tend to explore the topics in detail. And, there's a general good sense of humour.

Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures.

- Craig
10-01-2014, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcap2175 Quote
Hello guys and gals,
My name is Matt and I have recently switched to Pentax from Nikon. I had a d7000 but had to sell it a few months back. I just received my Pentax k5 and I am in love. In a few months I will also be adding a k3 to my collection. I love to travel and anything outdoors. My passion is travel documentary style photography but I also love landscapes and am now getting into adventure sports photography. I have done A LOT of research before making the switch, but thus far I am very glad I did. I really look forward to getting to know many of you on this forum and am looking forward to gleaning from all of your experiences with the Pentax system.
welcome Matt!!! this is an awesome forum and a really nice group of people!!

10-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Matt!

I find that in spite of the "snobbery" associated with the Cannikon crowd, Nikon and Pentax have a lot in common. On both systems, you can mount very old lenses onto brand new cameras. That access to quality, manual focus glass is something special and it's why I keep shooting Pentax to this day.

What kind of glass do you have for your Pentax so far? We Pentaxians love to talk glass!
10-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
But I'm wondering what made you switch worlds?
The reason that I switched was based on the shooting I do. I take the majority of my photographs outside so the WR and build quality really grabbed my attention. Also, I am not at a place where I need Full Frame so the Pentax lenses also were very appealing being designed for APSC sensors at a fraction of the cost.
10-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
What kind of glass do you have for your Pentax so far? We Pentaxians love to talk glass!
I know what you mean, I also love to talk glass! Since I just got my K5 yesterday I don't have much, but that will soon change. I am in love with the Takumar lenses though. I have the SMC 135 2.5 and I am about to get the Tamron 17-50 2.8. But like I said, the wish list is huge. I want a good Ultrawide for landscapes and a good 50 mm (maybe the Tak 1.4).
10-01-2014, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

and a good 50 mm (maybe the Tak 1.4).
Any of the 50/1.4s are good. I have a slight addiction to 50/1.4s I have the 8-element Super Tak, 7-element Super Tak, Super-Multi-Coated Tak, SMC Pentax and SMC Pentax-A. The 50/1.7 might be slightly sharper at F/1.7 or F/2 than the 1.4. I only have 4 of those (M, 2 A & FA). The 55/1.8 is excellent as well.
10-04-2014, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #13
Moderator PEG Judges

Hello from a former Nikon user!
Welcome to the forum, there's a few of us here that made that switch, albeit many years ago in my case from F3's to LX's.
10-04-2014, 04:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum and be sure to post photos as time goes by.
10-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
be sure to post photos as time goes by.
I will, and am excited about the photo challenges. But, a week and a half ago my wife and I had our first child! I am doing his newborn photo shoot so I will post a few of the photos for you guys!