Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Terry. By the way, I've never seen a swift perch. I once did a lot of work on a medieval alms house in Winchester (UK). The swifts would circle above the buildings at amazing speed, screeching to each other, presumably in glee at being able to fly so fast? Now and again, one would break off the formation and swoop under the eaves and into the roof, with no discernible loss of speed, taking a beak full of aerial soup to their young. My only swift shots were taken there, sitting in the middle of the quadrangle with a Canon Powershot IS S2 and a Raynox 2.2 teleconverter. Unfortunately, someone reminded me that I was supposed to be working before I got anything in sharp focus. I'm now working very near to the same site and maybe next summer I will return with my K-5 II and the Sigma 150-500. I am learning, very slowly, that patience is perhaps our most valuable asset.

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 08:38 PM ----------

I think it's perhaps time I drew this "Hello" to a close - maybe private messages would be more appropriate for continuing anything not wholly photography related? However, as a parting shot, I'd like to comment on something I learnt recently - I suspect that many of you realise this already but it was a revelation for me. I always record RAW files and process in Lightroom. I think it was in Amateur Photographer that someone suggested recording in RAW+ but with the jpeg set to monochrome. What a brilliant discovery! Being able to assess each shot in monochrome gives me a much better idea of the balance of light in the composition, even if I then use the RAW file to produce a colour image. Of course, if colour is the most important element in the shot, or if I want a fast frame/transfer rate, then I can easily switch back but my default from now on will be RAW+ and monochrome. Small steps ...

10-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is an interesting idea with jpg as monochrome.

They may not have been swifts perching - perhaps one of the swallows. This was a while ago before I had the camera with long zoom, so I can't prove it to myself. The one I rescued from my furnace was definitely a chimney swift.