Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-50 vs K-5iis

My last post put the 3 vs 5iis and since then someone recommended the K-50 with a focus on lens investments.
I'm an entry/ intermediate level photographer, but mostly a visual artist investing in a dslr to document my artwork (mostly pencil, charcoal, ink drawings with varied tones of B&W and others are color). The shots will be used to post to web and some small prints most likely nothing larger than 11 x 14 for at least a few years.
Any thoughts would be very helpful from an outstanding community. Thank you for your time!

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 09:58 AM ----------

Side note. I also draw the figure often and use a camera to take portraits hence the investment in a solid dslr.

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 09:59 AM ----------

Side note. I also draw the figure often and use a camera to take portraits to refrenence from later in the drawing process hence the investment in a solid dslr.

10-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-50 an k-5IIs have essentially the same 16mp sensor. The k-5IIs has no AA filter which theoretically will produce sharper images and the risk of some moire patterning.

The primary difference, IMHO, will the features of the camera, not the image results. K-5IIs was the flagship 'pro' level camera and has more features and buttons. Which you most likely will not use for your stated purpose. So it really comes down to price.

Buy the least expensive body and invest in a good macro lens and tripod or copypod as well as a good lighting setup. Honestly for your stated purpose just about any modern or even elderly DSLR will do just fine, you are not looking for big files. The lens and lighting setup will be what determine the image quality for your purpose.
10-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rlftbol Quote
K-50 vs K-5iis
You may want to post this thread in a more appropriate section of the forum, as you will probably get more responses.
10-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You may want to post this thread in a more appropriate section of the forum, as you will probably get more responses.
thanks for the heads up didn't notice that. newbie here

10-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rlftbol Quote
thanks for the heads up didn't notice that. newbie here
No worries, just trying to help get you the best replies, better informed = better decisions, well usually it does anyway but no promises mind.
10-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The prices for the two models is pretty close now in some markets. For my money, I would get the K-5 IIs simply for the metal build and top LCD and better battery life. Some might also add the video implementation into the discussion as well.

Steve
10-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For my money, I would get the K-5 IIs simply for the metal build and top LCD and better battery life.
If the OP is using the camera close to home, those features may not be critical.
OTOH, the focus peaking of the K-50 could prove useful.