Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Zeljko from Sydney

Hi there.
My name is Zeljko and I leave in Sydney, Australia. 52 y.o. and being doing photography as a hobby for the most of my life. Had some Pentax cameras in past and, I think, my last Pentax was a film one, SF7. In digital era I had Panasonic, a few Olympuses, Canon, Nikon, few Fujis, and Sony.
Basically sound like a gear freak and probably I am. I like cameras with user friendly layout . Real photographers cameras. Loved my Oly E30, Canon 30D, Nikon D7000 and others but never found my nostalgic film camera feeling with those.
I do have Fuji X-Pro1 and Sony A7 at the moment and while Fuji is closest to what I crave for, real photographers tool, it's not really good for the action shots of my son, goal keeper, from the side line. Sony A7 is beautiful peace of technology with full frame and beautiful photos but not the most user friendly set up and feels more like a gadget then a serious tool. Thought it's very good for the portraits and studio work I think I've rushed into purchasing of that one.
That brings me to Pentax. Since their merger with Ricoh, I didn't follow their developments and product as, I thought, they are loosing their identity. I remember brands as Minolta, Yashica, Contax, Canon, Nikon, Pentax and so. and don't find it easy to except Konica-Minolta or Pentax- Ricoh / Sony. How awful would sound Canon-Nikon as merged. However being bored and reading DP Review, Pentax K-3 caught my eye. Looks like a proper camera, controls aren't bad and feedback so far is positive. Would it be worth ditching my Sony system and coming across to Pentax? BTW I love the way your Forum and Pentax community site are set up.
Does anyone have experience with the camera and using it for the action shots. What lens would you recommend?
Thank you for your patience and till next post !!!
Zeljko

10-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

G'day mate, this is indeed a great forum, glad that you joined us.
I have the K3 and think it is great, but I will let some of the more qualified Pentaxians answer your question.
Hope you will share some images with us.
10-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
10-15-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, if you want to see how K-3 perform for sport, check this thread out

Sports Image with the K-3

10-15-2014, 12:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi Zeljko, and welcome to Pentax Forums.

If you appreciate Pentax cameras of course you're welcome to participate here, even if you don't currently own one. The Fujifilm and Sony cameras have a few fans here, so your remarks are interesting. I've thought about the A7, but put it away for the moment, partly because I'm looking at a high-end compact with an EVF or OVF, and partly because the A7 would be a big investment just to use with adapted lenses.
I have a K-3 (and a K-5, K20D and *istD) and I'm sure it's a DSLR that I'll have for a long time.

As for the Ricoh takeover, there's no substantial sign of them ditching or deprecating the Pentax identity, other than to move the P&S range over to the Ricoh brand, which is no great loss, in my view, except perhaps for the weather-proof/waterproof range, but overall hasn't done any real harm to Pentax, which is now well-established as an interchangeable lens brand.

Regardless of all that, we look forward to your participation!
10-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, just you standby ready to be bombarded with information.
10-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments .
I'm standing by for more valuable opinions.
Regards,
Zeljko
10-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by zeljko_pentax Quote
I'm standing by for more valuable opinions
You may do better if you post a more specific question in a the relevant section on the forum, it may well give you a better response.

10-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Zeljko! Hope to see some images soon. Salut, J
10-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
All good. I am happy with answers so far and definitely will post some new posts on the other, relevant sections of the forum. This one was only to test the waters as I am on the cross roads and trying to compare Sony a7 and Pentax K3 for my purposes.
So far, Pentax looks favourable but have to evaluate if it would be financially viable.
If anyone have any action shots with K3 , please link me and also what lens do you recommend?
Thank you again for all your welcomes and peaces of advise.
Regards,
Zeljko