Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

Introduction + question

Hello All, I'm new to this forum. I came here often as a guess (very usefull infos and reviews), but since I'm thinking to buy a new lens (used or new) in a near futur, I need to post something to be able to send PM and I also need advices
first thing first, I'm from Quebec, QC, Canada and an happy K5 II (I had a K7 before) owner with DA35mm macro ltd + DA70mm LTD + DA50mm 1.8
I really love the 35mm macro for what it's doing best (macro/closed up), but its macro ability seems to make it less good for landscape shots
the DA70mm is perfect for portrait, landscape and all around but the FOV is sometime restrictive...
I don't use the DA50mm 1.8 often... I think the DA70mm do better at everything and is also more pleasant to use
I'm the kind of guys that prefer to use a lens that is very good at what it does and well made instead of using something that will be ok for everything... but polyvalence is still important

you can see the kind of photos I'm doing here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/79055848@N05/
I'm also doing family shots but I don't post any kids photos on the internet (at least nothing personnal)

now I'm thinking about buying a DA15mm (HD or SMC) OR a DA21mm (HD or SMC)... I saw some thread about that, but none have fully answered... I guess that in the end it's a personnal question, but on flickr I seems to like more pics from DA15mm than the DA21mm
My goal is to have a lens suitable mostly for landscape, familly, travel, artistic, all around

DA21
a lot cheaper on used market
seems to be (more) polyvalent
but seems to be more liked by street photographer wich I'm not...
the landscape photos I saw from it seems les vivid, crisp, and alive than those with the 15mm
does the HD version worth to buy it new?

DA15
expensive new and used
but it look more like what I'm expecting from the lens I'm looking for.. I really like the dramatic effect of it...
seem less polyvalent, but it is still the lens I seems to prefer (from what I red)
I'm also concern about it's border IQ... I'm quite picky about IQ

I think its enough
thank for reading

10-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the 15 and 21. I use the 21 mostly for indoor shooting. The 15 is great for landscape, and urban architecture, but it's a bit wide for family, etc. I would suggest starting with the 15. If you then find you need something in the 21ish range, consider adding the 20-40 Ltd or the Sigma 18-35.
10-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just posted a bunch of DA21mm pictures from last weekend along our river. It should give you an idea what the lens does outdoors in vistas. The only cropping was if one of the dogs heads was in the perimeter or if there was something distracting at the edge. Otherwise, just lens correction and slight exposure adjustment in Lightroom. Have a look at my Flickr stream, they're at the front in the photostream right now. I don't have the 15mm, so I can't compare. The 21 is quite sharp up close, though - very nice.
10-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for the reply... I think that for the price diffrence on the used market, the DA21 could be a nice choice... but for landscape, I still seems to like more the shots taken with the DA15mm...

10-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, you've come to the wrong place to ask a question of which one to buy, the answer is simple... get 'em both and feed your inner LBA.
10-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
your right, I should post my question somwhere else... I'll do it later
thanks
10-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have bothm got them at the same time (two too good deals to pass up) so I tried the "mind controlling" (look for that thread and see the posts with most likes) DA15 and forgot about the DA21. I did carry it arround but seldom used it. Now I started using it more and realized it has very unique character, specially wide open. Its smaller and lighter than the 15, and has more but easely corrected barrel distortion. Flare resistence is almost as good as the 15. I think itīs wide enough for most uses. The 15 is more of a specialty lens but really fun to play with. I think itīs good to start with the DA21 if you donīt have the specific need of an ultra wide.